Turn Signal Switch issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Steve's 74, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

Does the dash light come on, but does not blink? If so, check the bulb and socket first.

2. Steve's 74

Steve's 74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It blinks.

3. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

Then I would check the turn signal bulb/socket area first. One other thing to try is to swap both front bulbs. If the problem moves to the right, then it is the bulb.

4. Steve's 74

This morning I swapped the bulbs, cleaned the contacts, and tested all the lights including flashers. Everything is working except that front drivers signal in the fully depressed mode. One other note; it's both the side marker and front signal bulbs that don't come on in the fully depressed mode. (And I'm sure they're pigtails somewhere close to the bulb end.) Which brings me back to the switch as the problem.
    I don't mind pulling it apart to inspect. But weather is finally getting nice here and it's driving time. Hard to do without a steering wheel on there.:bowtie:

5. Steve's 74

So before I pull the the steering wheel off I'd like to have the replacement part on hand.
    Is it the 10 pin, 3 7/8" wide connector? RockAuto list this as OEM / alternate #: 1893588

6. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

From the OP's description it does not seem to be a bulb or socket issue. I think the posters blaming the turn signal switch are bang on. If you have any access to a "known" good switch, you could try plugging it into the receptacle on the steering column and see if it behaves correctly.

7. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

That's the only one that's listed. It might come with an adapter harness. Good luck!

8. K1ng0011

K1ng0011 Veteran Member

Not sure what year your car is. I have had blinker issues before. On the 1970-73 models with the lower fog light position blinker the bulb grounds through the housing and the housing grounds to the frame. Later years have a dedicated ground wire for the bulb itself. If your blinker housing is rusty or the mount point to the frame is rusty weird things can happen without a good ground. If you look up the painless wiring harness document for our cars it illustrates what I am referring to.

9. Steve's 74

I really doubt it's in the socket or bulb considering it all works perfect in the lane change mode. I ordered the switch from Ricks (Ecklers). No ETA yet, but Hopefully it's the correct part;
    Camaro Turn Signal Switch, 1970-1976
    Part #:: 33-171290-1

10. Stelan

Stelan Member

it's probably the switch, you can just put a little wire jumper from the yellow wire to the light blue wire at the harmonica so all left signal/blinkers work at the same time and circuit (which is what most cars are)