Twin Turbo LS2

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by mwhizard, Mar 2, 2011.

1. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

A bit more work, gotta get rid of the blue and red stuff though!

[​IMG]

2. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

This was bugging me so I re-checked it out. You were right! At idle I had my 58psi, I pulled the hose and the pressure went up. It was tuned that way but I for sure will be taking that off! Good eye!

3. cubs2008

cubs2008 Veteran Member

I just got all my parts back from getting polished. What are your plans with the pipes? Have you made the final piping back up to the TB?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Gonna get the manifolds and hOt side pipes heat coated, the cold side pipes are going brushed satin finish. I spent a few hours on the tb pipe today but it's not done yet...

5. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

I got it fired up with the exhaust on, no exhaust gaskets though, and ended up hearing a weird knocking sound. I've researched the heck out of it, some say it's lifter noise. I'm not sure so out it comes again for inspection. Better safe than sorry...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. camcojb

camcojb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

if this is a stroker with a short piston they do make some noise, especially when cold. You can get a custom piston for the stroker LS engines with an offset pin that quiets it a ton. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

7. My73LT

My73LT Veteran Member

Clearance on the windage tray, maybe ?

But you're right, better safe than sorry. Pull it and double check.

8. mrvedit

mrvedit Veteran Member

My 383 suddenly developed terrible knocking sounds that made me think I had dropped a valve or something. I was ready to pull the heads when a friend (Nasty member Doug Jaynes) came over and noticed that my header bolts were loose. We tighten them up and it was all fixed. I couldn't believe that a slight exhaust leak at the headers could sound like metal-on-metal contact.
    My novice suggestion is to install header gaskets before disassembling the engine.

9. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Tore it all down and inspected. As suggested it was all fine. Seems to be the dreaded piston slap. I wish I'd known about the offset pin before hand. The gaskets that were missing were the ones between the exhaust manifold and turbo itself, not at the head, and that sound was different. Oh well... Should have it all re-assembled and running on the weekend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. camcojb

camcojb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It bothered me enough that I pulled mine apart and swapped them. Huge reduction in noise.

It isn't hurting anything, it's just a combination of the short skirt and the fact the strokers go out of the bottom of the bore so far, and rock when they head back up. It'll go a hundred thousand miles or more that way no problem. For me it was just embarrassing to have this cool engine that knocked........... :screwup: