Twin Turbo LS2

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by mwhizard, Mar 2, 2011.

1. CDCarts

CDCarts Veteran Member

[​IMG]

THAT IS AN EAST VAN GARAGE IF I HAVE EVER SEEN ONE!!

2. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

It's not in East Van, but it is the little garage that could....

3. CDCarts

CDCarts Veteran Member

sorry buddy but i saw the broken glass stucco on the house and that is AWESOME.

That is a killer second gen

4. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Ya, the beer bottle stucko is pretty sweet.

To answer the pan clearance question, yep, lots of clearance.

5. DirtyScotty

DirtyScotty Veteran Member

dont know how in the hell i have missed this thread but man is it awesome. nice work mark. more inspiration for me. i am doing a 5.3 single turbo. also plan on doing the 3 bar with hptuners. right now though its kinda on hold for financial reasons. Leaking basement comes first. dammit. nice work.

6. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Thanks,

Things were going great until the 'mystery noise' I think it's piston slap. I tore the motor back down and am sending the pistons back for inspection. I hope this issue gets sorted out quick, I want to get some track time soon!

7. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

So you driving it yet :innocent:

8. mwhizard

mwhizard Veteran Member

Well, after tearing it down I found excessive scuffing on the piston sides, both major and minor thrust sides. I took a bunch of pics and relayed them to the piston manufacturer. he had me send them back to him for inspection. He sent them out to an independent measuring company, who measures to within a millionth of an inch. Turns out the pistons are ok but the problem was that the oil ring support ring that I received was the wrong size. From what I was told , once it was installed into the oil ring groove, being that it was for a slightly smaller diameter piston, it deformed into a wavy shape which in turn pinched the oil control ring which in turn prevented proper piston skirt / side lubrication. I have since received the pistons back, with new rings, and new support rings.
    I'm getting pretty good at filing rings, as this is the third set for this engine, which still hasn't been driven.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got everything put back together this last weekend and was lowering the car down off of the jackstands to fire it up when a wheel fell off of my jack causing the jack to stop moving and the car moved on the jack which ended up with the jack going through the oil pan. AWESOME!
    I pulled the motor back out the next day, and tried to weld up the cracks but as the pan cooled the welds cracked. I ordered another oil pan and am waiting for that now.
    My patience is being severely tested, and I'm close to locking up the garage and breaking off the key in the locks. My birthday is a week from today, I hope to have it driving by then.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  9. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Man I feel for ya. Really hope you can get it sorted out. I really want to see it at Mission July 30-31.

I don't feel too bad, got my sled out once, still crappy breaks and fuel system didn't keep up. Rained every day since. Keep plugging away...throw some $$ at it, twist until the leaks stop, turn up the pressure...take it to the track this Friday and beat the hell out of it. :)

10. JasonZE

JasonZE Veteran Member

man thats a run of bad luck and I hate to pull things apart after getting it all in and looking nice,had my motor out 3 times in the begining to.
    that why my quote is "if it was easy everyone would do it"! and we dont want everyone driving camaros etc around especially twin turbo ones! so when its done and nowone else around you has anything like it you soon forget the hard work and start to enjoy the car more.