Twin Turbo Tall Deck

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Rustbucket350, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

Bad news and good news. Bad news is I quit my job to start a much better one. Good news is I'm going to get rolling on this the first of November and probably going to fire it up by the end of the year. I am really thinking I want to go balls out and put my nitrous kit on this with the methanol injection.

I'm pretty sure it's going to rip the leaf springs out but I'll find out.

2. Rustbucket350

I seriously want to run a sub 10 second 1/4 mile with this 366. If I get close I'll be more than happy.

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Traction will be the challenge for a 10 second run. You need an enormous amount of power to make up for a slow start and hit 10 sec. Now, if you get traction, your leaf spring prediction may come true!
    Probably need at least a 3000 stall and 4.10 gearing to hit 10 sec, but I can't remember what the rest of your combo is. And dump as much weight as you can. (Meaning the car of course)

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Oh, and congrats on the new job.

5. Rustbucket350

Thanks. I do have a 4.11 locker and I believe it's a 2200 stall. I had a 3500 in it but I thought it was too high for the shorter rpm range.

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Quite the build you got going there...., I'm sure you will have some good safety equipment in place, your going to have your hands full with a bbc with twin turbo's, nitrous and meth injection....I would not want to be the tuner on that ride LOL.

Looks like you could hit your goals of sub 10's with a 3,700lbs car/driver starting line weight and at least 700hp at the wheels. FWIW, and you likely know this, but a 9.90 et is approx. a 135mph finish line speed with an approx. 1.37/1.40 60ft. Like biker mentioned, if the 60/330 is down, it takes a lot of HP to make it up to hit the ET's.

Looking at (assuming) the starting line weight and crank stroke, if using a th350or th400, the "target" O/A first gear is 10.38, and like biker mentioned, the 4.10 gets you there with the th350, and a 4.30 with a th400.

If your going to use a 28" tall tire, the 4.10's with 1/2-1" growth will put you through the traps around 6,600- 6,800 rpm, pending converter slippage. Make sure it holds together at that rpm, not fun loosing stuff at that speed.

If the pinion angles are figured out, and the leaves as well, you can get those 60's, but it's not a cake walk. I assembled my buddy 496 that was in his all steel 69 Camaro, went 8:60's +/- at 159mph, 1,250-1,300hp with an NOS plate & a fogger, did it on 28x10.5 ET Streets and 4.10, trap RPM's close to 8k!!! To Effing scary for me....cage or not.

Good luck, keep us posted, very cool project.

MChamp likes this.
  7. Rustbucket350

The pinion angle is already correct. It has Hotchkiss springs and I have driven it with a 400-500 hp 350. Never got to run it down the track since it ate 3 cams back to back. Safety equipment is definitely something I have to have. I have a 10 point cage in the garage to install and I have a closet full of helmets. I am going to use a 28" tire for now. I have a brand new set of ET Streets waiting to eat pavement. The car does weigh a lot less since it has no interior and even with the hood it'll add like 30 lbs. I weigh 140.

I'm going to add a driveshaft loop and a scattershield. I was going to skip the scattershield but I decided it would be a good idea because I think this is going to launch hard.

I dont think raw horsepower is going to be the limiting factor. I think it'll come down to how far I want to go.

8. Rustbucket350

That's enough explanation for now. In November I'm going to weld in the wastegate pipes (also locate the piping), connect the wastegate exhaust to the exhaust on the car, relocate the battery to the trunk, add a holley blue or black pump ( I need to call them to pick one). Umm I also need brakes. I do have 4 wheel disc brakes but no master cylinder or booster right now. Oh and I need a steering pump.

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

Ok good. Sounds like you have a good foundation. 140? Jesus man, eat some peanut butter sangwiches

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  10. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

seems as though your motor might not produce adequate vacuum for vacuum brake booster ... "sir, will you be having hydroboost with your steering pump this evening ?"