Two step tunning

D72CamaroZ28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 26, 2006
The Mile high City
I'm looking for some help from my Camaro buddys that run a two step to launch the car. My problem is that the car stumbles or boggs down when I try to use it. I started with it set at 2500 rpm and just killed my 60ft times :whine: so I tried rasing the rpms. I now have it at 4000 rpm and it still knocks .8 off 60 ft times? What do I need to do to get the car to leave clean when I let off the brake an keep my awesome 60ft? Thanks guys!

Last edited:

mrdragster1970

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member

Is it an old antique unit?? The modern 2 steps are pretty much plug & play.
The old style could sometimes cause a fouling issue.
Are you on it for a long time or a few seconds??
Are you clearing the engine after the burnout??
Sometimes you can get puddling after the burnout??

Check your basic tune up, clean plugs, solid wires, no breaks/weak spots,
needle and seat clean & sealed, timing. When you let go of that button,
you should be off like a bullet.

D72CamaroZ28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 26, 2006
The Mile high City
No it's all new just bought it this winter. I do my burnout i hit nutral and clean it out then I turn on the switch for the two step then I roll forward and bump into the beams just off idle so I can just turn on the bottom bulb. Once the other guy stages I put the pedal to the floor. It doesn't seem to matter how long I'm reved up it still slows down the car either way. The two step is wired to my foot brake/brake light switch I dont have a T-brake yet.

1320n8

Nov 25, 2006
Mexico, MO
Put a button for the 2 step on your console. If you are using the brake light switch, there is a delay in waiting for the brake light switch to go off. With a separate button, you foot launch and hold the button down and not waiting for the brake arm to come back and turn the brake light switch off.

KylePBZ

Veteran Member
May 5, 2006
So. IL
Forget about using the 2 step while footbraking. Just leave as close to idle as possible. With it stalled up to 4K you've got the suspension all loaded up and taken all of the hit out of it.

mrdragster1970

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member

It's been awhile, but I also ran better when foot braking without a 2 step.
As mentioned, you are not getting the hit you need if the car is already loaded.
You want the range of motion to drive the tire into the ground.
With the suspension loaded, you get the umph of the engine power,
and your not driving the tires into the track.

Rich Schmidt

Veteran Member
Mar 27, 2010
Denville NJ
I agree with what is being said here. A 2 step doesnt help any car leave faster,even with a trans brake. It is used with a trans brake to make the car more consistent. Since the stall speed of the covertor and how fast the stator inside the covertor can change speed are both effected by trans fluid tempature,it becomes important to have the engine stalled at exactly the same speed on every run.

D72CamaroZ28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 26, 2006
The Mile high City
Thanks again for all the help guys! I have tried to leave at 2000 before but it has a huge flat spot an dont know how to get rid of it! What can I try to get that flat spot out? I've tried bigger squirters and they helped but its still there thats why i was leaving at high rpm to start with an then thought it would be good to have a two step to make sure I left at the same rpm every time.

Latest posts