U14 Gauge Swap

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by david.rosol, Oct 8, 2016.

1. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

http://www.nastyz28.com/2gcog/tech/u14swap.html
    in the process of doing the conversion... I already swapped all the pins around at the plug.

For the Tach to work: Per the instructions in the link... the #4 brown wire pin that is first pulled can be plugged into #1 spot of the harness, and then a wire ran from that to the tach connection of the distributer so that the tach works. I'm assuming to do this, I cut the brown wire completely and connect the new wire coming from the distributer to it, or does the brown wire "not" get cut and the wire from the distributer simply gets spliced into the complete brown wire? Not sure if my question makes sense. LoL. I guess what I'm trying to say is, do I cut the brown wire completely, or does it need to stay intact and just splice in the wire from the distributer? Also... what is the brown wire originally for? Is it a hot wire?

For the temp gage to work: I obviously have to get the correct sending unit... but what wire from the engine side of the firewall would I use for the sending unit?

2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

I remove the original brown wire and ran a completely new wire from the distributor to the connector body for the tack. Instead of drilling a new hole in the firewall to do this I ran the wire through one of the grommets holding the insulation to the inside of the firewall just below the power brake booster. Not sure what the original wire was for. For the temp gauge wire my 70 had two wires. I just grounded one of the wires with the key on to see if the gauge reacted, that was the one to use. The other wire was for the TCS that I left disconnected.

3. joel.hunter

joel.hunter Veteran Member

I ran a new wire through a grommet in the firewall directly to the plug in the correct location for the U14 pod. Worked fine. Same with the tach.

4. david.rosol

So basically I can just run a wire from pin#2 straight to the temp sending unit?

Can I also do the same with the oil light (pin#12) to the oil pressure sending unit?

5. Green hornet

Are your original wires missing?

6. david.rosol

In the engine compartment... yes.

7. Green hornet

Yes you can.