ugh i need some help/ideas

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Cataldo, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Cataldo

Cataldo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

maybe.. I'll do that Mark, floats were a pinch low even fwiw.

But how would this happen all of the sudden???

2. Cataldo

Well changed the Power Valve, no change. double checked floats and they are good. timing is 22 initial and 32 total (Vortec 350). no fuel drooling. I upped the idle to 800 rpm and they best i have mustered is 11:1 afr. Imma buy some new plugs here this evening.

3. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If the idle screws are all the way in, and it still runs, then fuel is getting into the engine from someplace. Did you reuse ANY of the Holley gaskets? Without sufficient crush, you can tighten the bowl down and the metering block to body gasket will still leak under high vacuum. Always us fresh gaskets. Get some fine, stiff wire. Run it down the primary air bleeds, idle and high speed. Even a tiny bit of crud can throw the mixture way off. I strongly suspect an internal carb leak.

4. Cataldo

Bikefixr,

im thinking the same thing. The gaskets are old, not too old, but they have been on and off.

I just picked up a fresh set of plugs letting it cool down. Drove it to the autozone. It ran just fine while driving but still only 11:1 afr.

Are you thinking metering block to main body? I guess it would have to be maybe filling up and leaking through the powervalve circut? I'll replace the gaskets.

5. captaincog

captaincog New Member

Just a quick stupid heck but how old are the fuel lines? I had something similiar a couple of years ago and it turned out that the fuel lines had disintegrated interally and threw chunks into the carb body. Suck job to find and clean but maybe?

6. 79CamaroZ28

79CamaroZ28 Veteran Member

I don't think its a voltage problem. I'm sure you have something plugged up in the Carb. I would pull it all the way apart and spray it down with starter fluid ( nope. I'm not kidding, most the pro shops use starting fluid to clean them out) and then blow all the ports out with air. A piece of trash in a air bleed would cause all sorts of havoc.

What kinda fuel pressure are you running?
    How did you set floats. If they are stock holley bowl here's how the pros do it. Take bowl off and turn it upside down, measure with a pair of calipers from the top( now the bottom since its upside down) to the parting line on the float. Should be about .800-.825. If not, set it there and don't touch it. If its a double pumper style Carb that is where it needs to be no matter what the sight window shows you. This is how braswell does it and it has worked for me every time. I never touch the float adjustment afterwords.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  7. Cataldo

maybe, the lines are only a couple of years old, i didnt see anything in the carb when i pulled it apart. I replaced plugs, the old ones were dry black, starting to clean up on the ~6mile drive, like the tops of the insulators were cleaning up. with the plug change idle quality did pickup a pinch. but still real rich. Tomorrow i will rebuild the carb.

8. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

torn diaphragm on the accelerator pump, degraded "umbrella' valve in the accelerator pump reservoir?

9. 79CamaroZ28

79CamaroZ28 Veteran Member

Disreguard the float procedure I just told you, I just re-read your first post and you said its a 1850. That setup won't work for a 1850. Pretty sure after RE-reading it that you either have something plugged or a major crossleak due to bad gasket or warped main body. Be sure to check rear plate to make sure its tight also.

10. Cataldo

well its an 1850, but i have center hung bowles, and duel metering blocks.