Uhoh... TOOO loud???

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Earlsfat, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Earlsfat

Earlsfat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think I might have screwed up... and don't flame me for saying this, lol... I think my maro might be too loud.

Details: 454, not sure of cam specs or head specs - cam was in it and had someone do the heads, 800CFM Holley DP, Weiand Stealth intake, Hooker ceramic 2" primaires into 3.5" collectors, 3"exhaust, flowmaster 40's dumped before the axle.

Now I'm not one to really care THAT much, but having small kids, etc, I know how annoying it is to have some jerk basser/ricer making alot of noise in the middle of the night, and don't want any trouble.

I was thinking of going to a Jeg's X-Pipe into glasspacks and then dumping just behind the tires or something. Will that tone it down at all, or because of the header size, etc, is it just going to be that loud?

Also... anyone know if anyone sells 3" pipes pre-bent so I can do the part after the mufflers that goes up and over the axle???? Or am I better off going to Midas or something?

2. bagpuss

bagpuss Veteran Member

i have 40's on my 79z,(370hp/400tq) very noisy-but i love it now. if i change out i will go to a delta series(50), friend just had them installed-much quieter in the interior.

3. Show7d3

Show7d3 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

4. zbugger

zbugger Veteran Member

The torque tech tailpipes fit pretty well. I think member Marin has them on his car. If you want to keep the aggressive sound, add full pipes all the way to the rear of the car. You won't loose much in terms of performance, but it will sound different. I had Flowmaster 40's right out of the muffler and set off tons of alarms. You could literally hear me a quarter mile away from behind or if I got on the gas. I put the Flowmaster full tailpipes on the car and it changed everything. It'll still be pretty loud, don't get me wrong, but it will be a LOT less bassy and it will be quieter by about 5-10 decibels. That makes a lot of difference even though it doesn't sound like much.

5. 1981gMachine

1981gMachine Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

X-Pipe and tails will tone it down a notch. I personally think my purple hornies are just the right sound level. 0-3000 rpms it has a nice older muscle car tone, then 3000+ rpms it starts to get into the dragster sound.

6. Earlsfat

Earlsfat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yikes... $265 for the tails!!! I'm not trying to sound like a total cheapa$$, but the budget was drug out into the corral and shot in the head months ago, lol.

Anyone know of a more, ahem, economical place to get them???

I was on Thrush / Dynomax website and was really thinking of glasspacks, but they seem to be rated as louder than Flowmaster 40's... wrong way, lol. Is there really that big or a difference????

I might just try to rig something until I can dig up the scratch to get the tailpipes. Don't know how I'm going to get it inspected though...MMRM

7. stinkboy

stinkboy Veteran Member

have midis or any company put pipes over the axle to the rear. that will do alot.

8. 1981gMachine

1981gMachine Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I paid $100 to get dual 2-1/2" pipe ran from the hornies to the back. Which the Hornies bolt to the headers so more pipe then what you'll need. Your local mufler shop should be able to do them at a reasonable price.

9. Vicious Z28

Vicious Z28 Veteran Member

I think my car was actually louder with the tailpipes compared to when I put the turndowns on them. I would not do the x-pipe if you make 400 plus hp. I would put the 50 series flowmasters on it they are 3 chamber and still flow good. The sound is good at idle and cruising speeds. Very reasonable. When you crack down on it they will sound loud but it really depends on your motor to how loud. I also have 3" exhaust.

10. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

check the video link in my siggy for loud... LOLOLOLOL:crazy: