UMI introduces 70-81 F-Body traction bars!

Discussion in 'Sponsor, Vendors & New Products' started by UMI Tech, Feb 18, 2020.

1. UMI Tech

UMI Tech Member

[​IMG]

br80z likes this.
  2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like the complete package aspect of this.
    How are you guys dealing with the bind issues from the solid front spring eye bushing?

3. UMI Tech

UMI Tech Member

Thanks on the "complete package".

We built a Delrin bushing that seems to be pretty smooth.

[​IMG]

4. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

this is pretty interesting, is this for people who already have leafs and don't want to go to a 4 link or a torque arm?

Is there any benefit to this set up over those?

(Or am I completely misunderstanding the purpose of this product)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  5. UMI Tech

UMI Tech Member

Hey SPG. These are intended to make leafs work way better than stock, maybe even better enough that you don't need a 4 link or torque arm. UMI is focusing on making these cars work awesome with minimal cutting/welding/grinding. Benefit over and above, not sure. But can we make these cars fast enough to win national handling events, yes. :)

We won DriveAutoX in 2019 and also the Northeast Musclecar Challenge which is road race mixed with 3 different autocross rounds.

These also help with drag launch.

ramey

Twinn Engines and SPG like this.
  6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think you misunderstood my question. To avoid bind the front eye of a leaf spring needs to be able to rotate horizontally to compensate for differental angle (due to car lean or uneven ground).
    The factory rubber bushings have enough slop for this (sorta). This is why Global West and a few others run Spherical Bearings on the front of their springs.
    Now - I'm not sure if this is negated by the traction arm essentially creating a parallelogram that could eliminate the movement on the horizontal axis.

Thus my question.

For the record, I'm a big fan of UMI's engineering, so I don't doubt this has been worked out... but I want to know how.

7. UMI Tech

UMI Tech Member

The Delrin bushings is actually not a swivel. We built an elaborate set of Roto-Joints and due to packaging, didn't have much room for them to swivel. We tested the "linear" style and didn't notice any trouble. So that's what we currently offer.

rw

8. Twinn Engines

Twinn Engines New Member

Out of curiosity, your kits offer no rear sway bar or option for a Watts linkage (like Fays2). Arguably, those have their own issue with bind, etc. But my question is, why dont you offer a rear bar in your Kits?

To respond to low ends input about the swivel bushings, I've installed them(GW), and while they are great, there are other issues created elsewhere. I think your concern with bind can also be applied to GW and some other systems, just in different suspension points.

UMI, next sale, I'm sold. Thanks.

9. Lowend

I've seen clearance issues with lift bars and rear swaybars before.

There are some aftermarket suspensions that use a solid spring eye bushing and calculate the bind into the rear spring rate to avoid using a rear sway bar

10. UMI Tech

UMI Tech Member

The beginning of 2019 we actually had composite leafs and a Watts on it. Sam Strano (18 national SCCA championships and counting) was our test driver and didn't like the feel of something. We unhooked the Watts and he went faster. The lateral movement of the composite leafs was a little too much so we switched to the steel leafs and no Watts. All along we had our prototype rear bar on it. We ran it unhooked a few times as well and the car was still ok. There is an obvious hole in our product line on the rear bar and we are finalizing that now. The rear sway will be released shortly but certainly isn't a deal breaker for many.

If you're wanting to know when product releases happen, the newsletter link is at the top of the page. https://www.umiperformance.com/home/

I build the newsletters here so no spam.

rw