Under hood insulation

slamin69

Veteran Member
Mar 6, 2016
langhorne pa
I’d like to send a BIG shout out to Chuck Sharin from Camaros RUs for the hook up for my under hood insulation. He was extremely helpful. It was the one of the final parts to complete my 1972 Z28 DX3 car. Next stop the Camaro nationals next year

Attachments

• F648FB9D-FD70-451E-820C-8345EC3D2390.jpeg
    F648FB9D-FD70-451E-820C-8345EC3D2390.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 87FC48C7-0325-4E15-B3C9-038E764E7C7D.jpeg
    87FC48C7-0325-4E15-B3C9-038E764E7C7D.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 167

70lt1z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
A suggestion is to place a towel or similar on the air cleaner lid and across the fender bars prior to closing the hood. That underhood mat has glass fibers which are abrasive and will scratch the things it of the car is driven much.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
The factory insulation never caused any scratches to anything under the hood so if the reproductions are made to the same specs as factory, they probably won't do any scratching either.

CamarosRus

Veteran Member
Feb 16, 2000
Auburn,WA (between Sea & Tac)
Dave, First time I've heard about the scratching that you wrote about........I'd like to learn more about this before I start
advising people myself ?????

Gary, I do know that the reproduction hood pad that Ive sold well over 100+ to members of NastyZ28 is NOT the same
material as the Original.......Ive never had a technical description of the material.........
InsulationB.73CamaroLT.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 79
  • hood insulation.jpg
    hood insulation.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 85
  • M21RSZ28.ORIGINAL1970CAMHOODINSUL.jpg
    M21RSZ28.ORIGINAL1970CAMHOODINSUL.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

70lt1z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
For the scratching let me clarify that this is based on reports from others and may be based on the other reproduction hood mats that do not have the molded relief for the air cleaner. Better perhaps to be safe than sorry? Also, the OEM air cleaner chrome finish is a flash type of chrome which would not typically show the scratches anyway, but if you have a "show chrome" finish it is something to consider.

For the mat material, it is very similar to a type of sound insulation material the company I work for used to die cut as sound insulation for refrigerators and dishwashers which had a large percentage of fiberglas as a component. This was blended with polyester that could be heat formed to retain its shape. The fiberglas would over time abrade (and actually polish) the tool steels.

slamin69

Veteran Member
Mar 6, 2016
langhorne pa
A suggestion is to place a towel or similar on the air cleaner lid and across the fender bars prior to closing the hood. That underhood mat has glass fibers which are abrasive and will scratch the things it of the car is driven much.
The only place I see any type of rubbing is on the radiator cover. So I went out and bought some clear vinyl tape that’s easily removed. So I’ll see how that works

70 SS/L78

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 5, 2005
Rockford, MN
I do what Dave mentioned above only because I had noticed minor scratching as well. Then again my car is restored much better than the factory ever produced. I don't drive my car down the road either so putting a towel over the upper radiator support and chrome air cleaner lid is no big deal while hauling it to a car show.
I do believe the material used in the reproductions is probably slightly different than the OEM stuff as it doesn't seem to hold up as well either but unfortunately it's the best there is.

severum17

Sep 5, 2001
South of Dallas TX
I do what Dave mentioned above only because I had noticed minor scratching as well. Then again my car is restored much better than the factory ever produced. I don't drive my car down the road either so putting a towel over the upper radiator support and chrome air cleaner lid is no big deal while hauling it to a car show.
I do believe the material used in the reproductions is probably slightly different than the OEM stuff as it doesn't seem to hold up as well either but unfortunately it's the best there is.
What is the purpose of the insulation? Sound deadening or heat transfer to the hood?
I removed mine long ago as it got dust everywhere when I closed the hood.

70lt1z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
What is the purpose of the insulation? Sound deadening or heat transfer to the hood?
I removed mine long ago as it got dust everywhere when I closed the hood.
Beyond the Z27 and Z28 options, it came as part of the Z87 Deluxe interior package which also specified "extra sound insulation" so I would surmise it was for sound deadening purposes.

Last edited: