underbody paint color

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 73z28cam, Aug 23, 2020.

1. 73z28cam

73z28cam New Member

can't make up my mind, on Satin Black or the original Red Oxide.

less work if done in black, not looking for originality either, just cant decide

2. x77-69z28

x77-69z28 Veteran Member

Seems you’ve answered your own question. If you are going assembly line correct, it’s red oxide. Then you have to add overspray while fully disassembled. It’s a lot of work! If you are not worried about original, satin black is the way to go. I just finished the underneath of my 70 Van Nuys Z/28. Since it’s a van Nuys car, it’s black underneath, but had heavy overspray! A lot of work is an understatement. Good luck whatever you decide!

3. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Is there any guidance as to where overspray would be?

4. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Who sells the red oxide?

5. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

SPI sells red oxide

6. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

If your car is a 73 (as your username suggests) red oxide is not the correct color you should be using if your looking to duplicate the factory in your restoration. Search the forums, this was discussed by 2nd gen years.

7. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Whichever you finally choose, I'd recommend the Southern Polyurethane Inc https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/ epoxy primer. You can't beat the price. It's a good tough finish that will hold up well to the abuse the underside gets. It has a low sheen when dried. To give the wheel wells a little bit of added protection on top of the primer, I did my front and rear wheel wells with a trunk bed liner (UPOL), then when I still had some left did the trunk too. Make sure if you use SPI to read all their instructions on line pertaining to the epoxy. You can order on line and get it shipped right to your door. I used it on all the little bits and pieces, exterior brackets, interior brackets like dash braces and supports my subframe, and suspension pieces, All that stuff got a coat of black single stage knocked down with flattening agent to a semi gloss finish.