Undercoating on a Norwood 1970

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by snydes, Sep 23, 2020.

1. snydes

snydes Veteran Member

Hi all. Looking for some discussion on the factory wheel well undercoating on a Norwood 1970. Can anyone comment on at what point on the line the undercoating was applied? Any pictures with examples of coverage area would be extremely helpful as well. I do have the pictures of Jack's former car, which have been some of the most helpful pictures I have so far.

Thanks in advance.

2. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Here’s a pic of my car when I got it with 56000 miles. D3D02DB5-D136-4C77-A76F-E012AAE30988.jpeg

snydes likes this.
  3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Interesting...are you undercoating to duplicate the sloppy factory way or to actually provide protection?

budro6968 likes this.
  4. snydes

snydes Veteran Member

Sloppy factory way, which is why I posted in this section.

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I'm going for the Tuesday thru Thursday look. Not the Monday look after an all weekend bender or the Friday look after watching the clock instead of the car,:rolleyes:

snydes, flowjoe and 70-camaro like this.
  6. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Honestly, it's hard to beat the photo record of Jack's old HO Z28 for factory undercoating application which would probably align with Dave's Tues-Thurs look. I haven't seen many detailed photos of undercoating that wasn't already obliterated by dealer-applied undercoating or age decay.

snydes likes this.
  7. snydes

snydes Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes, those photos have been the benchmark for many of my restoration detail efforts. Very appreciative of the time he took to document that car. Can anyone comment on whether or not the outside of the wheel lip would get any incidental coverage? I see from the one picture of Jack’s car that it appears the lower front portion of the lip (at the rocker) was undercoated. I don’t have any other pictures of the wheel lip to see how much of it looked to have been covered. I suppose I should send him a PM and see if he remembers any more about that.

Thanks for the help. I am trying my best to accurately restore this car and information on these early second gens is a little harder to come by.

8. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

abqrearfloorpan03.jpg abrrearfloorpan02.jpg acgrearassembly02.jpg 07C Norwood

snydes likes this.
  9. snydes

snydes Veteran Member

Thank you for the pictures! I did reach out to Jack and he had some additional pictures of his old car in these areas he shared with me. Very similar coverage as the above car. I did have a lot of pictures of my car as I was tearing it down, mine (03A) did appear to have heavier coverage onto the frame rails/bump stops, etc. I suppose the moral of this story is it was a process done by human hands with varying levels of coverage.

10. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Good stuff!

Can you share the extra photos from Jack?

snydes likes this.