Underside primer color by year

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by CamaroNmotion, Feb 8, 2013.

1. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

After going through many threads on this topic I realized that in regards to a specific year there has never been definite answer as to what year the Norwood plant changed the primer color formula or better said the orange tint vs brown tint. It would be nice to put all the information together for future use, or for lack of words-put to bed. My 1974 LTZ28 which is original has the brown underside along with interior portions. From what I gather the shells were completely dipped. This subject has come up again in the Project Progress section by secondgenaddict during restoration of his matching numbers 1973 RSLTZ28. He uses Pantone color chart to perfectly match the underside color of his 1973 which is the same as my 1974. From my extensive research this is what I believe to be true: 1970-1972 Camaro's used PPG DP74LF, Dupont Imron 62-711, OEM paint 42030 and Zero Rust -red oxide. 1973-1978 used something else. It has been suggested Dupli-color Acrylic enamal DA1656 leather brown is a very good match (comes in rattle cans only). I have not found enough information 1979-1981. If you '79-'81 owners are restoring your car to original form, please chime in. I can only assume at this time the color is the same as '73-'78. I'd really like to hear everyone's thought on this. The term "red oxide" primer can only really be used for '70-'72 Norwood undersides.

73rsltz likes this.
  2. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

cars from the noorwod plant ( and most plants by the 70s ) were primed in the ELPO tank . the car had a negative charge applied to i while the paint in the tank a positive . thats what made the paint adhere to the body better . the primer had a ferrous substance in it to take the charge . with paint coming to the plant in 55 gallon drums or even rail tankers the consistency of the paint i would imagine , be varied . [​IMG] there were possibly more than one supplier also . its good to see you found something that will work for you . i don't think gm put to much effort in the primer shades , they had a hard enough problem with the outsides .

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  3. 77thor

77thor Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I ordered a 1977 Camaro from the factory (brand new) and I can tell you that the underside was BLACK in that year.

4. CamaroNmotion

Do you recall if your car was built at Van Nuys plant?

5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

After the bottom was cleaned, the original primer looked like this on my 1970:

[​IMG]

6. CamaroNmotion

Clips_screws_PMS_colors 047.jpg
    This is a match for everything I'm seeing for '70-'72 Norwood. If you go to PROJECT PROGRESS- 1973RSLTZ28 matching numbers restoration by secondgenaddict you can see the differences in primer tint. I believe this was the year for change at the Norwood plant from what I've been seeing. Pantone photo by secondgenaddict.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  7. 77thor

77thor Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes. I believe it was.

8. moehoward

moehoward Veteran Member

[​IMG]

9. CamaroNmotion

My thread was generally talking about the Norwood plant, however this brings up a good point about Van Nuys plant which I neglected to mention since there seems to be little information. From everything I am able to come up with, it seems that CA plant used black primer for their choice of underside color for the 70-71. When the Camaro line was being built again in CA in 1976, from what your saying they stuck with black...if that continued thru 1981 we need to gather more data. Please chime in you 77-81 owners of Van Nuys plant that have original undersides. Black it is.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  10. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

i belive that van nuys was still hand spraying the primer in 70 and 71 and did not have the ELPO system in place at that time .