Understanding paint code

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by My 69 z28, Sep 14, 2021.

1. My 69 z28

My 69 z28 New Member

I am new to this and was Hoping someone can help me out.I have a 69 z28 and for the paint code it only shows - -.I was told it could mean stripe delete or special paint.Any info would be appreciated.Thank you

2. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes the - - represents special paint. What is the actual color of your car? There are some rare unique colors like Carolina blue which is a rare special paint color.

3. My 69 z28

My 69 z28 New Member

It is Fathom green which I didn’t think was a special color.I was told the car didn’t come with strips to.

4. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would suggest to get some answers here at www.yenko.net There are some very sharp 1st gen people there to take the answers further.

My 69 z28 likes this.
  5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The '- -' would only have applied if a non-standard color was requested, or if a required stripe (e.g. Z/28) was requested to be deleted, or applied in a non-standard color.

MChamp likes this.
  6. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

7. My 69 z28

My 69 z28 New Member

Thank you
    Yes that is the code for Fathom green but it has the 2 dashes for the paint code.Someone told me it was special paint and another said it was stripe delete.It was my husbands car that he owned since 1974 and was fathom green with strips when he bought it.He passed away and I’m trying to find info on it but don’t seem to be getting anywhere

8. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

yeah, I hear ya, and sorry for your loss... My '72 has the same marks and I haven't been able to find much either. I wonder at times did they just punch the tags and then stick 'em on lol.

9. My 69 z28

My 69 z28 New Member

His is a California car and some say it was a mess out there at the factory and they were I organized.I’m just thinking I’ll never find the answer I need.I do know it does has the original 302 in it

10. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

302?