United airlines catches on fire

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by SPG, Feb 21, 2021.

1. doug mundahl

doug mundahl Veteran Member

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. doug mundahl

doug mundahl Veteran Member

unless the planes loaded with bombs by your house.

dcozzi likes this.
  4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i thought they just detached an engine to help the bombardier do calculations.....lol

sooner likes this.
  5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

A family member who works for Delta says some of the airlines are sending out their engines to be repaired overseas, and that's where the problems start they stated. There is no oversite here to make sure the work was done right. They should know as my relative is an engine inspector.

6. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I see it was headed to Honolulu. I just flew to and from Maui a few weeks ago on United, but none of the flights were on a 777. Just long boring flights compared to this one :eek:

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

They don't do anything? In the AF our engines are ran across a test cell (un-installed), then when its installed in the aircraft there is an idle run required. The cowling isn't part of the engine, and it breaking up and fodding out the engine...isnt an engine issue. However, like all things...components in engines do fail from time to time. Todays engine are highly monitored and controlled by computers.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

FB_IMG_1613940413385.jpg

sooner, 1980RS and muscl car like this.
  9. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Perfect thing to see right before you start your flight
    [​IMG]

sooner and carr911 like this.
  10. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

While I don't doubt your experience with this, I do find it a bit overblown on the pilots part. I've been in the industry for over 40 years, and the weight difference of one person is minuscule looking at the big picture. The average passenger weight that they use is 170 lbs, and that's nothing given the overall takeoff weight of a commercial airliner, and certainly not enough to be critical enough to be a the difference of flying on a single engine. Passenger and baggage weights are all based on an average number, so there's already a margin of error with that formula. The weight of one passenger can be compensated by sitting on the ground for a few minutes and burning off additional fuel. I'm my experience, we would remove some cargo prior to removing a passenger. The only exception to what took place, would be if this was a smaller 19-35 seat commuter aircraft. The maximum takeoff weight of a commercial aircraft is several hundred thousand pounds. This 777 did land around 31k over its max structural landing weight, but it's not that uncommon during an emergency landing situation.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021