Unusual VIN? 1970 Camaro SS

Ledfoot1965

May 24, 2019
See if the engine is original to the car, so that means finding the motor stamp , and the trans and rearend , and post a few pictures of the undercarriage , and then everyone can get a good feel for it , and dig around and see if you could find any hidden docs , like a build sheet or whatever they had for a kit car, Camaro, built in another country , I know some collector would love to add that to their collection, if you can get more of the history and story, and GLWS ,
Thanks
I will do that. I work 70 hours a week and it’s difficult for me to get much time for doing what I really want to do. Going to be a lot of searching and digging but I think it’s worth the effort. Appreciate y’all and the information you have supplied. I will continue to post details as they become available. Thanks

Kurt S

Feb 20, 2003
Ann Arbor, MI
Even if the body dies aren't exactly sold overseas, some of them end up there where the older models are built for years after production ends in the US.
Interesting article. But those are GM facilities making those cars, VINs per standards. And they did that for utilitarian models, not Camaros. :)
GM wanted to do that with older Buick models to China, but China insisted on having the current versions with better emissions and safety.

Rich Schmidt

Veteran Member
Mar 27, 2010
Denville NJ
Realize the kits were just 'a car in a box'. All the same parts that would be used at the US assembly plants, but organized to build a single car (as opposed to railroad cars filled with just transmissions, etc).

Just noticed I'm still a new member, though I joined 16 years ago! :)
Actually knock down kit cars didn't always have all the parts that an American built Camaro has. Sometimes parts were sourced locally,some such things could be as minor as wheels and tires or as major as engines and transmissions. They did it to avoid tariffs and taxes.

Rich Schmidt

Veteran Member
Mar 27, 2010
Denville NJ
It is possible that there could be problems registering it in the more restrictive states in the US. Since this car was not built for US, it possibly doesn't meet NHTSA and/or EPA regulations for registering.
This car looks like a 70 Camaro, but likely was built years later after GM sold off the rights to the body molds to another manufacturer. If that is the case, then the car might need to meet later year smog laws in places like Mexifornia.
This would be something to check before buying.
Actually the car was built in the US and shipped to another country in pieces. It was assembled locally and is a 1970 Camaro. GM did it to avoid taxes and tariffs. Sometimes parts were sourced locally such as tires and even engines from a car brand that is made in that country.

The trim tag says body by Fisher so the body was made in the US. It looks to be a standard US car that was just shipped to venazula in boxes.

Kurt S

Feb 20, 2003
Ann Arbor, MI
Actually the car was built in the US and shipped to another country in pieces. It was assembled locally and is a 1970 Camaro. GM did it to avoid taxes and tariffs. Sometimes parts were sourced locally such as tires and even engines from a car brand that is made in that country.
The trim tag says body by Fisher so the body was made in the US. It looks to be a standard US car that was just shipped to venazula in boxes.
This is wrong. CKD vehicles were not assembled in the US plants. Assembling them in the US would incur the import taxes and tariffs. Many foreign assembled cars used used the standard GM trim tag. Note the compliance statement is lacking.

All of the drivetrain components for the foreign Camaros were sourced from the US. Local content was normally commodity products like glass and tires. Discussed in my article.
All this has been confirmed by GM employees AND by some of the foreign assemblers.

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN
Just seen this discussion... Very interesting and unique car! Learn something new everyday on these cars
this car is currently on ebay
1973 Chevrolet Camaro CLEAN TITLE/A/C, CD player, Power Steering, Brakes
1973 Chevrolet Camaro CLEAN TITLE/A/C, CD player, Power Steering, Brakes 97238 M not a LA OR NO CAR SELLER SAYS IT IS A RS I TURNED HIM IN TO EBAY SAYING NO !

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN
this car is currently on ebay
1973 Chevrolet Camaro CLEAN TITLE/A/C, CD player, Power Steering, Brakes
1973 Chevrolet Camaro CLEAN TITLE/A/C, CD player, Power Steering, Brakes 97238 M not a LA OR NO CAR SELLER SAYS IT IS A RS I TURNED HIM IN TO EBAY SAYING NO !
CALL IT WHAT IT IS NO BS!