Update on my new ride....

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by fuzzy dice, Jun 3, 2016.

1. fuzzy dice

fuzzy dice Veteran Member

We have been working on the new ride for 3 months...finally got her done and tested 2 weeks ago...no bueno...pulled the tranny and sent it and the new converter back to FTI...changed around the converter and freshened up my glide...

Tested again on Wed. evening...no bueno again!...damn...car is sluggish and runs slower than my Camaro...WTF!...this is my new 79 Monte Carlo...back half with 14/32's and a Dana 60...brandy new 496 motor...I run very mild motors as in 10.3 CR pump gas 93 octane...full roller with a mild .714 lift cam and aluminum heads...

So how can a car that is right at 500 lbs. lighter with a bigger motor run slower than my old whip?...turns out it may have been my fault...I had 4:30 gears in my small tire Camaro and could not make the 1/4 mile...too much rpm as in about 7200+...I decided I wanted the option of running 1/4 mile events if I cared to...thus we pulled out the 5:13 gears in the car and put in new 4:30's...

I learned a pricey lesson that you can overpower the converter with too much tire and not enough gear...who knew...so next Thursday we will pull the new 4:30's and put the 5:13's back in the Dana 60...oh well...I'll just run the 1/8 for a while as over 90% of my events are 1/8 mile anyway...

As to the numbers, I made three test passes on two separate occasions...it went 7.15 and 7.08 the first time out and with a tweaked converter went 7.06 the second outing...ugh...mph was right around 96/97...these numbers actually showed the converter was working properly...heck, with my Camaro I was going 6.80's with less motor and 500 more lbs...sigh...

The one good thing we did was to put in a quick release steering wheel so old tubby here can get in and out of this full cage car...lol...it sure does make it easier...hopefully the next test will prove more gear is what was needed...anyone want to buy brand new, used for one pass, 4:30 gears for a Dana 60?...

Here is a pic of my new finished G-Body shuffler...the Murder Monte...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  2. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Sweet keep us updated

3. Dmystix

Dmystix Veteran Member

Nice going FD. Hope you'll stay here, keeping us up on what's going on, always loved following your exploits.

4. fuzzy dice

fuzzy dice Veteran Member

Thanks guys...sorry to say the car is beating us up right now...we put the 5:13's back in and did not pick up squat...looks like a problem in the new motor...everything we check on the motor comes up perfect though....sigh...

We did find two plugs that fouled on Friday night...#'s 2 and 8...changed the bank on that side and ran gain...no gain...did not run again but looked at the plugs again on Monday...2 and 8 were fouled again after one pass...hmmmm...changing the cap, rotor and wires and then on to the dyno this week...we'll see...if nothing changes it may be the old MSD box is the culprit......dontcha just love drag racin'....lol...we'll find it sooner or later, hopefully sooner...

5. Bobalos

Bobalos Veteran Member

Check the valve lash (to see if there is a lifter/cam lobe issue) Leak it down to see if there is a ring/valve seat issue) & check the springs (to see if there is a spring/valve seat issue).

if nothing there tells you anything, then put it onto the dyno & figure out whats going on.

Also, IMO, that is way too much tire. put some W's on it & let it eat.

Does it have wheelie bars on it?

Do you have any kind of data collection?

Bob

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  6. Bobalos

Bobalos Veteran Member

BTW, I LOVE that body style. VERY cool hot rod!