Update/Reminder

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by POS71RS, Jun 20, 2012.

1. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't have your hood sandblasted. I wanted just the bottom side cleaned up so I could prime and paint it. I was very specific that I was concerned about warpage, and theysaid they were more than capable of doing a fine job and would lower the psi, etc.

I never even looked at the top side before sending the Camaro off to the shop.

I went to the shop yesterday, and he asked why there were all these waves in the hood... UH OH... sure enough; all the areas of the hood-skin that you can see from the bottom... dipped down and warped to hell.

So, I'll have to rectify that situation here soon so that progress can continue. The body guy is sure he can shrink the areas back to shape...but I'm very bummed.. I had a lot of time/money in that hood.

2. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Damn, did they give you a refund?

3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can you forward the cost of repairing the hood on to the media blaster?

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I did mine with a Harbor Freight blaster, probably not as aggressive as the professionals, but my hood didn't get screwed up.

5. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I sandblasted part of my Z28 hood, and it bent. I've been told there's a lot of stress in a hood, that can get relieved with sandblasting.

I think I read some people use soda blasting on hoods. But I don't have a soda blaster, so I've never tried it.

6. ColdBastrd

ColdBastrd Veteran Member Gold Member

I use to blast at night years ago at my buddies blast shop. You have to go very low pressure with, believe it or not, dried and crushed corn cob. If you go full pressure with straight up silicon carbide, you'll get a warped hood. Too much heat is generated that way. I've actually seen a Vette hood melted doing that.

Sorry that happened. I've seen your progress thread and I know you spent some time on that hood.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  7. POS71RS

I was hopeful, since I saw they had several hoods in there. One was from a mid-fifties Chevy truck that was blasted and even powdercoated. I figured if that big ol' hood could take it.. my Z hood could too.

As far as what they're going to do.. I dunno yet. They were quick to say that it was probably damaged before they blasted it. But I think the fact that the damage lines up perfectly with the inner structure speaks for itself.

And yes, I had some hours in that hood myself. If it can be saved, I'd be much happier than starting over with another hood.

8. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

I had the same thing with a buddy's Chevelle I painted. Notice the peculiar triangle shaped dents in the trunklid. The braces must have braced the sheetmetal, and the sheetmetal stretched in between.:whine:
    [​IMG]

9. ColdBastrd

ColdBastrd Veteran Member Gold Member

Hoods, trunks, and roofs (and fiberglass anything) need a low pressure, the gun held at an angle near vertical as to skim the old paint off (not straight up and down horizontal with the surface), and a fine abrasive like walnut shells, corn cob, or poly plastic. It takes longer...the material costs more, but if you just have at it with normal pressure and heavy materials, this is what happens. A lot of it depends on the operator of the gun as well.

10. POS71RS

So, what did you end up doing on that? That's nearly the same thing as my hood; wherein you can see the shape of the inner structure. Did you heat/shrink it back to shape? Fill'er up? New lid?... :whine:

Chris... I don't have much/any experience blasting... but I know better than to hit something like a flat hood with perpendicular, high pressure blasting. I just figured the guy in the shop had the same common sense. :screwup: