Upgraded Cooling System Necessary for 408?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Powers76, May 13, 2013.

1. Powers76

Powers76 Veteran Member

I know there are many different opinions and wives tales about the 400sbc but I was just curious if someone who has ran one can confirm if it actually requires a beefed up cooling system or will my stock 350 radiator suffice. Thanks in advance.

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's pretty general... what kind of condition is your current radiator in?

3. Powers76

Powers76 Veteran Member

Sorry. Its just a stock radiator from 76 Camaro 350. The radiator is in good condition, Ive never had any problems with leaks or overheating. A coworker who seems to have it out for 400's was telling me I need to get an aluminum radiator and a high flow water pump before running it or it will get hot and the block will crack :screwup:

4. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

I am running a 408.
    I run road course track days here in Phoenix and the car has AC. It is a very strong engine.
    I initially had a champion radiator, 3 row .75" tube it would keep the car cool driving around town,but the engine would get to 240 after about 10 minutes on a road course. After champion warranteed the radiator, and then replacing the water pump with a high flow victor series edelbrock, installing a stewart high flow t stat and adding hoses to allow water from the front to the rear of the intake, with no change in temp. I cut apart my 3 month old radiator and found champion radiators are junk.
    I bought a 300$ griffin rad, 2 row-1.5" tube from summit and my problem was solved.

Sooo, I believe a good stock radiator should be sufficient. Especially if not racing, and a more mild climate

5. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think as long as everything is in good condition and working properly, stock stuff should be fine..

I ran a vortec 406.. I had a stock replacement radiator, electric taurus fan and stewarts water pump.. If i used a good fan clutch i think it would have rub just as good. Also a 180 stat.. 90% street use.

6. Powers76

Powers76 Veteran Member

Thanks for all the input. I dont even like bringing up my engine around him lol all he talks about is how 400's are crap and how I should have bought this, that, and the other. Ill just have to show him how wrong he is :bowtie: