upgrading to 700r4

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by skinner_ss, Aug 3, 2008.

1. skinner_ss

skinner_ss New Member

ok i am upgrading to a 700r4 from a turbo 350 but i am running into issues like relocating crossmember cutting drive shaft new shifter and cable dont know if i am going to have clearance issues or not but know it is a very tight fit has anybody done this swap and possibly have any pointers or tips i have a 370 horsepower 350 posi rear end msd pro billet distributer 6al ignition box please help

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

It is really easy to upgrade a 700R4 to a TH400. Just get a TH400.;)

3. skinner_ss

skinner_ss New Member

i am upgrading to a 700r4 from a turbo 350 i want a four speed instead of a three speed the car came stock with a 350 turbo it is a 1980 camaro z28

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I'm not sure changing from a TH350 to a 700R4 is an upgrade. You get 4 gears, but you lose a lot of reliability and driveability. The ratios of the 1-2 shift of the 700R4 is really poorly designed, while Chevy's other automatics have much nicer gearing for the 1-2 shift. The 200R4 has much better gearing than the 700R4 for everyday driveability and it has 4 gears too.
    If you want an automatic that can handle real power, the TH400 is the one.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  5. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Not to hijack but I was thinking of the same swap. I dont like turning 2600rpm going 50mph. I dont want to change out the shifter though. I want it stock looking. Maybe I just need to get a 3:08 gear set instead of the 3.42's I have now.

6. 71camaro383

71camaro383 Veteran Member

Guys, Check out bowtieoverdrives.com. They will have everything you need for the conversion. Did it myself and have had no problems. Good Luck.

7. rhead007

rhead007 Veteran Member

its easy move the xmember back 1 hole and drill a new hole for the rear of it you will need a lockup kit bow tie overdrives and you will need a shifter kit thats it its not hard and you will need the bracket for the carburator for 700 r4 its an easy swap youll love it when its done go to bowtie over drives and rear its a helpfull site plus ya need the shifter kit and lock up kit also available at jegs now and scummmit but well worth it my cost with stall 2800 and rebuilt with kevlar bands and vett servo the good stuff was 1300 with me putting it in im running a 411 posi know tryin to seet the shift point were i like it but i need a new carb i hate these edelbrocks im going to a holley brand new need a new 750 eddy

8. skinner_ss

skinner_ss New Member

the swap

i run at 3500 rpm's to go freeway speeds and dont like it the tranny came with the motor so i have all the brackets i need already has lock up conversion so am good there thanks for all the helpful advise will check out the site thanks

9. DirtyScotty

DirtyScotty Veteran Member

Watching this closely as i am going to yank the th350 tonight and hopefully get the 700 in place. Does anyone know how much of the driveshaft has to be cut out? Also, what would you guys recommend for a shifter cable?

10. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

Does anyone know anything about adding a overdrive unit? I heard they mount behind the transmission and the only thing you have to do is shorten the driveshaft.