Upgrading to a 383 stroker - short block recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by jzest71, Jun 10, 2020.

1. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Well said, and makes one wonder when they underflow some nice AL heads then make more power per CFM, and run just as quick, if not quicker, things that make you go ..mmmm

2. jzest71

jzest71 New Member

3. Allen B

Allen B New Member

I have many Skip White & White Performance parts in my 383. Assembled myself so I cant speak to their assembly or machining but I do run their brand aluminum heads that flow exceptionally well and are dirt cheap.

If I had it to do over would probably do the 427 small block. Skip White does those as well.

4. AEGIS43

AEGIS43 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

$ Mike 70 Z-28 likes this.
  6. AEGIS43

AEGIS43 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

And I really like your car, Chuck. I've watched the video many times. Love it.

Someday, whenever I get this thing on the road, I want to head to SoCal and roll with you. Are you in Palmdale/Lancaster? I lived there in the late '80s.

Camaro 72.jpg

7. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm in the Victor Valley area

8. carhead22000

carhead22000 oldblue

vortec heads all the way..out flow lots of big name heads.bang for buck..cant beat them.airgap intake...268 voodoo cam..383....mmmmmm....work some nice on street,you could spend more money on bigger stuff.but that combo works really nice for me.in a 81 camaro.rool along at 2o mph stuff it and blow 5o,s off through first into second gear..then big chirp goin in 3rd.

9. monzaracer

monzaracer New Member

First of all double humps ported can barely hold a 350, invest in good heads, heck even modified for lift Vortec would be better. Why go 383 if your gonna choke it off with heads and small carb. Upgrade to at least 750/780 cfm vac sec Holley, heck last three 383s I helped assemble gained 75 hp in just good heads. If your set on 383, get one piece main roller block, build rotating assembly for your rpm plans ie if your gonna try to rag it go forged pistons
    Another fine item I have had awesome lick with is a GMPP LT4 HOT roller, team it up with comp composite dist gear or GM melonized, add on some Comp stainless 1.65 rockers, good 1 5/8-1 7/8 headers, AFR 195 heads, and the 4 hole idle 950 HP or FiTech injection is worlds better.
    Good luck

10. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had a set of double hump heads that I left sitting on the side of our old house like 15 years ago. The guy that bought the house told me he had some guy come over and look at them......before he threw them in the canal....