Upper Dash Panel Replacement

masck1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 2006
Jacksonville Fl
Need to replace my upper dash panel on my 80 model., it's rusted pretty bad between the A-pillar and the Vin hole area. My question is does the replacements sold by various come with the correct Vin hole. They all say fits 70-81. With the different vin hole sizes between these years do you just cut the correct hole you needs to fit your particular vin tag? I can fab a piece to replace the rusted area but it will get into the Vin hole area and I want to make sure this area look as original as possible.

krabben1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2007
( . Y . )Delco
Cant say,but if its the only one available,...you know.
It was one of the easiest pieces I replaced on mine.
Longest part was getting the old one out.
Great opportunity to get into the cowl bucket and rockers too with something.

masck1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 2006
Jacksonville Fl
On the 80 year models the hole for the Vin is slightly different location and the repop upper cowl I bought has the 79 Vin hole which is shorter. For those of you that went this route did you just make the hole longer to match the original and did you use the original Rosetta rivets or just use reg rivets to reattach the Vin.

ob355

Mar 4, 2022
I'm not a fan of reattaching VIN plates, you can run into legal trouble doing so.

1320feet

Veteran Member
Oct 23, 2019
Calgary, Alberta.
The VIN is stamped in other places on the car. I'm not to worried about useing the wrong rivets. I found a VIN stamped on the firewall behind the heater box.

rotinrob

Veteran Member
Oct 2, 2018
Not sure of the laws in Canada for reattaching a VIN. Where I am at the laws are fuzzy at best. But as long as the intention is not to hide a stolen car or to defraud someone in a "fake" case you might be alright. Best thing to do is to take lots of pictures documenting the work, including the hidden VIN. Since it is easy to do a walk around video showing the WS VIN and the hidden VIN without interruption, a video is also a good idea. Also if at all possible remove the portion of the cowl that holds the VIN and graft that into the replacement part leaving the original rivets in, is this tampering with the VIN? Only a court can decide that. The rivets are available but might be illegal to posses (believe it or not) in your jurisdiction. I am not a lawyer so this is not legal advice just my thoughts on the matter.

rotin

ob355

Mar 4, 2022
Its illegal in every State. Only the Manufacturer and D.M.V. can attach a VIN to a vehicle. Don't let a shop talk you into doing this as part of a restoration. Rosette Rivets are not illegal to have, only when you attempt to reinstall them on a VIN plate. Its rare but when the authenticity of a Vehicle is questioned it will be up to the owner to prove that the vehicle is authentic and that they do own it. But the Plate will be confiscated and a State VIN will be attached to the Car.

rotinrob

Veteran Member
Oct 2, 2018
In Michigan, Senate bill 718 of 2000, Amending PA 328 of 1931, was passed in June 2000 and made law in Oct 2000 does in fact make it illegal to posses the rossette rivets

(5) A person shall not knowingly possess, buy, deliver, or offer to buy, sell, exchange, or give away any manufacturer’s vehicle identification number plate, federal safety certification label, antitheft label, posident die stamps, secretary of state vehicle identification label, rosette rivet, or any facsimile thereof. This subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle manufacturer, a motor vehicle parts supplier under contract with a motor vehicle manufacturer, or a law enforcement officer in the official performance of his or her duties or to a motor vehicle in which a manufacturer’s vehicle identification plate and each of the applicable labels listed in this subsection have been installed as prescribe

This also makes it illegal to replace the Blue sticker inside the door (federal certification label), and to deck the block. However like all laws written by politicians it is vague in that it requires any part with a serial number that is replaced must have the number reapplied as prescribed by law. So if the part has been replaced, like the door (certification label), engine (partial VIN), or the cowl (VIN plate), you are required to reapply the identification number

1657210721237.png

So is it illegal to do it (5) or is it illegal to not do it (1). Violate 5 and be guilty of a felony or violate 1 and be guilty of a misdemeanor. Engines have VINs I violate part 1 by not restamping the block but I violate part 5 if I have the stamps in my possession.

Got to love laws written by politicians and lobbyists.

This is the Michigan law your laws will vary. You can read the entire Michigan law online under PA 328 Section 750.415.

Again I am not a lawyer so my interpretation of what the politicians were thinking when they wrote this law is just my opinion.

rotin

Last edited:

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
To be safe... Talk to your State's DMV.

They may want to inspect it before and/or after the repair is made to that panel.

Hate to see someone go to the work of restoring a car only to have some little technical issue bite them after the fact.

masck1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 2006
Jacksonville Fl
Hi Guys,. Thanks for the replies but this was more of a restoration question than a legal one about the Vin hole size and location relative to the different years of the cars. So that would be great if someone had answers for that. As far as legalities go I have checked and It is not illegal to possess or install the rivets in every state. You do need to have Vin verification form completed if restoring a car or completing repairs in areas where the Vin numbers are located on the car. No vin verification is required if the car has never been titled.

Latest posts