Use Realtor or Sell Myself?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Flynt, Sep 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

I am moving out of state and need to sell my house. Would you use a realtor and pay their commission or try to sell the house yourself?

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Depends....If you're willing to put the leg work into it. Listing it...showing it etc...From my experience though as a buyer, I rather go through a realtor. The paperwork to sell a house and buy one is too complex for me to deal with alone.

3. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

my daughter sold thier house on her own, it was a newly built house of 2 years, she found all the paperwork online and saved on the commission. last hojse she got a realtor. jim

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

We sold our house without a realtor and the most we paid to transfer everything was 1K and both parties were happy. You just have to find someone help with the sales agreement.

5. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

If you get a realtor the commission is negotiable. I’m not sure what it is in your area but here it’s usually 5-6 % and I pay 4 but it also depends on how your market is. I’m in ca so the markets pretty good most of the time

6. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Pay a r.e. Attorney to handle all the paperwork. Or use one of the 2% listing fee sites that handle all the legal stuff. In a hot market with an inventory shortage, paying 6% commission is BS.

Zstar and biker like this.
  7. biker

biker Veteran Member

That's good advice.

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

There is a lot of info online when you go to try your-self. The Attorney may still be a good way to go like biker said. Title search and all that lien stuff. The local courts are usually not helpful when you have questions. All they want is for you to submit the paperwork and pay the fees. I have used the court system W.O. a Lawyer or any legal help. It is just a matter of following procedure. I even hand wrote my documents. No typing. The clerk just rolled her eyes. It went through though.

Zstar and FreedomPenguin like this.
  9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

If I were buying a house for sale by owner, I'd deduct the going commission rate from any offer I made.

That's what most buyers do.

So, you end up with about the same amount net, but have spent your own time and money marketing the property.

10. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

If the market is hot it sells for what it’s worth regardless of whether a seller is paying commission or not.