Use Realtor or Sell Myself?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Flynt, Sep 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I'd go realtor, and find one that doesn't have a bunch of homes listed as "realtor owned."

wiseryder likes this.
  2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

IF...

The market can be very fickle. What is a property "worth"? How do you determine that? How does a FSBO market it against the competition?

Even in a hot market, you need to work hard to insure that buyers know about your property to get multiple offers.

3. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Yes but the stranglehold the realtors had with MLS Is No more. Many sites list homes regardless of realtor involvement or not. Now in a bad area, a home with quirky features, etc they may be of some value. Read steven levin’s analysis of realtor sales in his freakonomics Book. Pretty eye opening but not surprising. Now, I know a few amazing realtors that are worth their weight in gold but the industry by and large is overpaid for the amount of effort needed to sell a home.

4. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In our part of the market the houses are often selling for OVER the asking price.
    In fact, a guy at the end of our street just had a bidding war on his. Sold for 12K more than listed for
    People here just tell the vulture realtors what they want to get and let them worry about setting the price and finding buyers to cover their commission
    Here...right now...The Sellers are in charge
    Nobody else

5. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Same in Northern California where I live.

6. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If I sell a home in future, im listing it myself. I read something like 10-15k go towards a real estate broker. Cant be that hard!

7. xten

xten Veteran Member

Same here. My friend's son wanted to get a house in a better school district for his kids. $150,000 budget. His wife found a house she had to have. $174,000. Put a bid in for asking price. Got outbid. Put in a higher offer, got outbid again. So he ended up getting the house... Paid $210K for a house that was listed for $174K on a $150K budget

8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

IMHO - a realtor is worth on a home sale.
    Not only do you want someone experienced on the paperwork and procedures - you also want someone with a solid Errors & Omissions insurance policy.
    There are many intricacies with disclosure laws, inspections, zoning, etc, if something goes squirrely, you want to have a firewall standing between your personal bank account and the home-sale

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

That depends on whether you are knowledgeable or not .Like Clint Eastwood said in a dirty harry movie .a man has to know his limitations .Either way good luck to you.

Knuckle Dragger likes this.
  10. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Lowend is absolutely correct here. The liability you'll take on selling your own house is a big risk (especially these days).