Use Realtor or Sell Myself?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Flynt, Sep 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

guess I will have to fork out 15k... seems like a lot. my guy didnt do anything, we was closed in 2 weeks, I made all the phone calls, got all the inspections done etc, feel like he didnt really do anything other than submit my offer to the seller, and had me show up for signing papers.

2. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Proving a RE fraudulently handled a home sale is next to impossible. First of all, the realtor board won’t provide any help, and it’s up to the buyer to prove his case in court. I’m a advisor on a swimming pool site. Recently a person bought a home where the seller lied and concealed significant structural damage to the pool (it had dropped 4” due to a retaining wall failure in the lot behind the pool. Even had pics from the buyers inspector who missed this obvious defect as the owner purposefully put floats and air mattresses in the corner of the Pool to conceal it. Neighbors confirmed the PO had several Contractors out to see if it was repairable before he sold it. Not a single lawyer would take the case!

It’s about a days total work to sell a house in norcal these days. No frigging way I’m paying $44k for that little effort ($750k house value). To each his own I guess.

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Maybe your buying agent didn't do much, but what about the listing agent? He/she spent the time/money doing the market analysis, promoting and advertising the house for sale, taking all the calls to set up showings, inspections, advising the seller on any and all offers.

Just because your buyer's agent didn't do much, doesn't mean the listing agent didn't do their job.

4. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

I would agree with this, and i would use a realtor again in a heartbeat. I bought and sold last year, and my realtor did everything, soup to nuts, except get the mortgage, but any issues there, she took care of. I simply dont have the time or patience to be handling all that with work. She would just call me and pretty much tell me where to be and when. She even took care of registering the recycle container. Her husband took ridiculously good photos of my house, that i never would have been able too. Her idea of listing the house maybe just a touch lower than it was worth worked like a charm too. I got 15K over ask.

5. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

THIS

selling a house on your own is a GREAT way to get sued and then lose WAY more than the realtor commission

I have many friends who are realtors and it's a LOT of work selling a house

6. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've bought and sold 4. Never used a realtor. Still can't figure out what they do. I know my house, neighborhood, schools better than any Realtor. I also find they price low so they can move it quick. I don't need 10 buyers, just one. We also use a single Attorney as well. Saves $ and time. Most sales are not adversarial, the contracts are boiler-plate. I sold my last house in 2 hours for $15,000 more than 2 Realtors said I would get. I shoulda asked for $10K more, it sold too fast.

7. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I sold my house in late 2004 in Orlando. It was a seller's market then, kinda like now in some places. It was pretty simple, all things considered. Title company handled closing and all the legal stuff, though I did run a few basic questions by a lawyer friend, just for my sanity. Laws vary wildly state to state, but I think many of you are grossly overestimating the legal protections a realtor can provide you (as a seller or buyer).
    The primary value of a real estate agent is your home on the MLS, where it has the largest reach. Zillow, Realtor, Redfin, etc. are lowering that barrier with lower cost of entry. I mean, sure, they have some local expertise, but that won't necessarily translate into absolute top dollar in your pocket. 6% commission on a $500k property is $30k- there's a lot of wiggle room in $30k to attract more buyers.

8. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

I heard Redfin charges 1% if you sell and buy with them.
    Not bad since they handle all the work