Used 4th gen ?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by InitialD, Dec 5, 2010.

1. InitialD

InitialD Veteran Member

I'm looking at a 98 firebird (first year for ls1 in 4th gens) and it looks nice, black car, ttops, leather interior. What is making alarm bells go off in my head is that its only got 52k on the odometer, and the car lot is actually listing it at nada value. It's either been in the garage all these years, or it's had an "interesting" life and a decent body guy is my guess. I haven't really heard anything BAD about the 4th gen fbodys as far as recalls or problems go, and it actually gets better milage than my old 4banger "economy" car. I'm considering picking this thing up as my new daily. Going to take another look at it tomorrow. Anyone have any advice for me or gotcha's to keep an eye out for?

2. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

I'm looking at the prices for '98 to'02's T/A's, because I plan on picking one up. And when I'm ready the interior is going in my '71. And it seems smarter to go with the whole car instead of piecing stuff together. Besides the engine/tranny, computer, and E brake with some modification should fit.

3. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Usually skip the 98's if you plan to mod them.

Check around the wheel wells for paint differences, as well as the door jambs and sill area. Check under the rear seats (they pop out like ours) for water damage. Get a carfax. Check the suspension parts underneath for bends.

Rear shocks/springs/sway bar work is a breeze. Fronts harder but not impossible. Sway bar swaps and bushing upgrades really help, as well as springs.

Stock RS-A type tires suck. BFG's lasted longer for me.

ebay will be your friend for bolt on parts and any upgrades due to so many of them being out there already, and the 5h gens being out as well.

4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Those cars are famous for blowing up rear ends... if you hear the faintest sound coming from the back of the car... it's going.

They have an 7.5" (?) 10-bolt that was designed for the 6-cyl vega

5. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes I have put three rears in my 98ss

6. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Listen to the engine running with the hood up, some of these LS1 cars have piston slap and short of rebuilding the engine, there is no way to get rid of it. I passed on a '00 Trans Am a few years ago because the piston slap would have driven me nuts. Not all of them have it but this one did. You'll know it when you hear it, and it does not go away when the engine warms up.

7. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mine is so loud there is no way you could hear piston slap if it had it

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I was thinking of picking one up for a DD, but Its hard to find the right one. 90% of them has had 100K miles of getting the sh*t beat out of them.

Personally I would looks for 2000-2002

9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Hey, Get it straight the vega's had a weaker rear axle, The monza's had the 7.5 On a side note I had a 7.5 in my malibu for over 3 years with a 400 sb and 125 his of spray, Never broke it, But I set up my auto trans to shift soft.
    My one old good freind on the other had one with a stick, BOOM BOOM every other weekend:bowtie:

I got a 4th gen Z dirt cheap lt1 and 6spd. to boot, It is fun to drive a sick again. I am going the 6 speed route in the first gen now.

10. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Wayne, what's your fear on the 98's for modding?