Used cam ??

brooksman9

Veteran Member
Jun 10, 2007
Olive Branch, MS
pdq67 said:
What's your actual static compression ratio going to be??

I ask b/c imho a 292 cam really need's right a 11 to 1 CR. to run like it's meant to!

And I have a Melling 292/230, 109/107, .480" lift hy-cam in my 406 now that's pulled and on my engine stand. It's right at 9.5 so the 292 cam is way soft until like 25 to 3,000 rpm!!

M-20, 3.31 posi and back then 26.5" tall L-60/14 tires.

pdq67
I'll let you answer that.
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105258

pdq67

BANNED
Jul 26, 2001
Columbia, MO, USA
Please go w/ a UDHarold designed 268 VooDoo instead!

Imho, it is almost SOTA b/c I know Harold keep's making better and better cam's.

Plus, he's a friend!

pdq67

Cardinal

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 22, 2003
Endicott, NY
I ASSUME that parts wear together should stay together. My luck is NEVER good enough to step away from what I've always done.

MrZeal

Jul 8, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
soonerjay said:
If there is no wear pattern, then why do cams go flat?

Cams go flat when there is a problem that causes them to run metal to metal.Unless there is metal to metal contact, you can go hundreds of thousands of miles on a cam (race cams do not count since they run high RPM and have extreme spring pressure on them, which exaggerates whatever the problems might be). A friend of mine has a late 90s Ford Crown Victoria with over 600k, yes 600,000, on the original engine and he has only changed the oil every 3k and spark plugs once. This is true, and he even wrote a small book about it.

A Caterpillar 3406 E I took apart a few years ago had over 900k miles on it and it still looked almost new because the owner ran Valvoline Synthetic (Cummins Blue) and changed it every 10k miles religiously. The rest of the engine got the bearings freshened up, but only because we already had the pan off.

These are truly amazing to most most people, but they show what an engine can do that has been properly cared for.

MrZeal

Jul 8, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Cardinal said:
I ASSUME that parts wear together should stay together. My luck is NEVER good enough to step away from what I've always done.

Yeash, I'm like you, Cardinal. I take no chances. But I am running a used cam with new lifters.One 2.8 v6 I fixed a few years ago I replaced the 3 noisy lifters with new ones and the car ran another 4 years before it spun a rod bearing.

MrZeal

Jul 8, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Cardinal said:

Yeah, I'm like you, Cardinal. I take no chances. But I am running a used cam with new lifters.One 2.8 v6 I fixed a few years ago I replaced the 3 noisy lifters with new ones and the car ran another 4 years before it spun a rod bearing.

sooner

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 11, 2009
Perry,Ok
MrZeal said:
Cams go flat when there is a problem that causes them to run metal to metal.Unless there is metal to metal contact, you can go hundreds of thousands of miles on a cam

That is exactly my point. Your cam does not stay 100 percent lubricated 100 percent of the time. When you shut your car off, oil drips off of parts, including the camshaft, beacuse of gravity and makes its way down to the pan. This, no doubt will cause a metal to metal condition and a wear pattern.

The only motor I have ever seen personally that had a set of lifters mixed up and reused was on a freind of mine's 305. Around 400 miles later, it started spitting back through the carb. Im sure some people have gotten lucky with mismatched used lifters, but ill also bet that just as many if not more people have been unlucky trying it.