used ZZ3 motor value?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by owen1980, Jan 9, 2016.

1. owen1980

owen1980 Veteran Member

My buddy just bought a big block and is putting it in his Nova, he is selling the ZZ3 that is in it. He offered it to me for a lot less than what he is going to list it on CL for. I have rebuilt my 350 to about 300hp non vortec, just not sure if I should get his motor or put the money into finishing my car.

ZZ3 less than 10K miles on it, has a spec cam and comes with everything from air cleaner, front drive accessories, starter, headers, and convertor.
    Only issue is the oil pick up had to came loose a few years ago. I think it is an Edelbrock carb, originally had a Holley but it never ran right. His Nova ran real low 13's with this motor.

2. hutchenc

hutchenc Veteran Member

With everything...$2500. As a complete motor, I dunno...$2000 maybe. I bought a ZZ3 shortblock for $500. Just having an engine with a roller cam will make it more potent than a flat tappet, all else being equal.

That said, if you have no use for all the accessories it seems like a bit of a waste. Depends on whether or not you want all that stuff.

3. owen1980

owen1980 Veteran Member

It is still in his car and mine is out, it would be easy to just take it out of his and drop it right into mine.
    I do not have headers, convertor, or a good carb yet. I just rebuilt my q-jet and have a performer intake. The ZZ3 was 345hp and with the cam probably squeezed 10 more out of it, plus he had an electronic ignition.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

What do mean the pick up came lose? Are you sayng the engine lost oil pressure for a period if time?

5. hutchenc

hutchenc Veteran Member

What cam is in it now? I'd also be concerned about the loose pick-up. If the motor ran without oil pressure for very long, it's gonna need a rebuild soon.

6. owen1980

owen1980 Veteran Member

The guy he bought it from had the cam done before the motor was installed in the car when new. I think he has the spec card for it still.
    On the oil pick up if I remember right he noticed the issue right away. It was over two years ago and he has made several 1/4 passes and lots of summer day driving since then.