Using a screw driver to bad bearing

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 80sz, Feb 17, 2021.

1. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Where do you place it? I never used the technique till today. Awd car on lift in gear, they had on spinning spindle, I couldnt hear anything but scraping . That’s how I was showed but feel I heard better by putting on caliper. I couldn’t feel driving or turning but customer says it’s bad . It has blizzaks on it and she is a state trooper. I say she driving her little van hard cuz said brakes pulse also but are almost new. I couldt get them to pulse either. It was 8* out considering

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Using a screwdriver to bad bearing? To your ear?

If the brakes are pulsating then the rotors are getting hot and warping. I would put them on a dial indicator then if off, turn them down. Look at the pads, I bet they are not wearing evenly. Either replace the pads or sand them down evenly on a flat surface. Make sure the sliding calipers are cleaned and lubed in the proper locations including the O rings. I would also make sure the castle nut is torqued to the spinning spec and backed off to the next flat. BTW cheap China rotors warp.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    80sz likes this.
  3. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Old mechanics stethoscope
    using a screwdriver to hear a bad bearing works you will hear before you feel
    Before vibration analysis equipment became readily available this was the normal way of finding bad bearings in industry, use a large screwdriver with a hard plastic handle no rubber, old craftsman screwdriver is good, place place blade on bearing housing, ear to end of handle and you will hear every noise in motors, pumps, fans etc. also works for steam traps if trap is working right you will hear the trap open and close, if hot and just hiss of steam trap is bad, you can also hear cavitation in control vales. Old mechanics stethoscope
    you can also check to see if a alternator is charging using a screwdriver, hold screwdriver to back of alternator if screwdriver is attracted to alternator. charging, if no or little attracted alternator is not charging.
    Bought this screwdriver when I started working July 1974
    152033761_422083452348203_687752444590876552_n.jpg

PalmbchZ28, 80sz and 70-camaro like this.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I usually put my stethoscope on a caliper hold down bolt to hear a bad bearing. I've often found that the further away from the bearing itself you listen, the more you'll actually hear.

80sz likes this.
  5. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Veteran Member Gold Member

when I started working there were no mechanic's stethoscopes the new mechanic's stethoscope do work much better.

80sz likes this.
  6. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

I spin the wheel while holding on to the coil spring. Amazing how you can feel a bad bearing vibrating through the coil spring

80sz likes this.
  7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Good tips, sorry for the misspelling on post. I could hear much better by setting on caliper. Each side sounded same , driver had a slight click to it. I couldn’t hear resting on spindle. I did use a craftsman.

8. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I’m getting a scope when snap on guy comes next

9. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I use a 24" long 1/2" extension and the sound resonates well enough up that extension to help pin point bearing noises.

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member