Using adhesive on the ends of door & window seals

76_TypeLT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
I have GM door & window seals installed. Many moons ago when I installed the seals I did left the ends loose that screen into the body. Do I need to add a little adhesive on those ends or are they only screwed into place? I'm guessing I did not apply any adhesive so I could make sure the seals fit well around the perimeter before committing 100%.

Knucklehead

Veteran Member
Nov 6, 2008
Washington, DC
The shop manual says to add a spot to those ends, and the original ones I recently removed from my 70 had a spot about the size of a silver dollar on each end (plus the screws).

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
^ Yup.

3M weatherstrip adhesive... On the ends

You don't need much of it but it helps to keep the ends lying flat so you don't catch it with the door, window edge or anything you move in or out of the car.

It also works to repair any cracks or tears which may develop over time.

Oldman74

Jul 10, 2022
With the repop door seals I used, I ended up using the adhesive down to the first plug on the front side due to the angle it runs at and it kept water from running underneath it.

Knucklehead

Veteran Member
Nov 6, 2008
Washington, DC
76 LT: Minor addendum to my post above. The rear ends of the old window weatherstripping did have a spot of 3M adhesive as described. However, a close examination of the old weatherstripping showed that the front ends had been actually stuck on with dum-dum (3M Strip-Caulk). So I did mine the same way.

Latest posts