Using Heat to Remove Rusty Bolt

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Flynt, Mar 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

I am not a mechanic and I am trying to remove a rusty bolt that may have loctite applied at the factory. Will somebody tell me what heating method to use to aid in removing PXL_20210301_153200034.jpg PXL_20210228_185908260.jpg the bolt? This is the underside of the cab of my truck. I do not want to damage the cab or the carpet inside the cab by using the wrong heating method. Please give me some advice.

2. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you have not tried it yet, you may want to use some good old penetrating oil first. I have had really good luck using Seafoam Deep Creep. Also, with really stubborn bolts, you use a can of the freeze off spray first. You'd need to pull the carpet back, then blast it with the freeze off for about 10 seconds to contract the bolt, then hit it with the Deep Creep. Let it sit overnight and give it a try. Also, since you have access to the top and bottom, I'd work both sides of it. Heat has it's place, but can also melt, burn and can alter the hardening of the bolt if you are going to reuse it.

--

3. TommyRS70

TommyRS70 Veteran Member

Soak with PbBlaster...breaker bar, or air impact...watch the carpet with heat...good luck, they can be a bugger

4. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

^^^+1 on both suggestion above. I'll also add try tapping the bolt head with a hammer once or twice... and once you got the bolt to move spray with more penetrating oil and then do the tightening and loosening method to reduce the chance of the bolt breaking. Good luck!

danbrennan and TommyRS70 like this.
  5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Get a wire wheel or wire brush under the cab and clean up the threads which are showing.
    There may be undercoating and rust on the bottom side and anything you can remove will help.

I doubt you will ever break on of those bolts.
    (The Torx head will strip or the socket will break before that happens.)

Clean out the torx head with a pick and be sure you get the socket seated firmly (hammer tap) before you attempt to turn it.

6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Those are a bugger, they are locktited in from the factory. You can spray the bottom with a good penetrating spray like pb blaster or some such but that will only help the rusted exposed threads and not do any good on the locktite Without heat you will likely end up stripping the head.

wet down the carpet around the bolt, don’t worry it’ll dry, and heat it from underneath. If using a torch concentrate on the exposed end of the bolt a little at a time. You want to heat it just enough to release the threadlocker so heat and try to turn the bolt, repeat until you get it out. Don’t be afraid to soak the carpet with water. It’ll dry.

7. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Use a small propane torch and heat the nut part of it for a few seconds and that bolt should spin right out.

dcozzi and dale68z like this.
  8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Heat near the carpet - makes me nervous
    I'd try a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone as a penetrating oil first. It's by far the best penetrating oil that's out there.

With the carpet... I've never tried this, but I wonder if you could use a soldering iron to heat the bolt. Easier to control-direct the heat than a torch. Might not be able to produce enough heat.

8pack likes this.
  9. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You'll never get enough heat out of a soldering iron for that job. Quick blast of heat from a propane torch on the bottom side will melt the thread locking compound and that bolt will spin right out.

10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wire brush the end of the bolt where it sticks out of the threads in addition to the previously mentioned comments. You don't want that dirt and rust in the threads as you try to back out that bolt. Heat the bolt on the bottom of the car and I've used a wax candle melted on the exposed threads after heating to lubricate the threads with success before.

BillyDean7173 likes this.