Using sub-frame as test stand

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by lapedr, Oct 1, 2020.

1. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Anyone ever use their front sub-frame (removed) as an engine test stand? I have the sub-frame out of my 72 Camaro while I am doing metal work on the rest of the body. I finished the engine and trans rebuild and installed both into the sub-frame so all I have to do is install the entire thing as a package when the time comes. I was thinking why not break in the engine and trans now to see if there are any issues before putting the whole thing back in. I have never done something like this before so just wondering if anyone else has. I figure I need to make sure the engine and trans are ready for starting and running just like if they where in the car (fluids topped off, fuel, wiring etc.). Having gauges to monitor everything, and a start switch. The main problem I see is how to prevent tranny fluid from leaking out the rear of the tail shaft. I could install the driveshaft yoke and just make sure I don't shift out of park, but then I am not testing the trans. Any suggestions or recommendation's?

2. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

I can't see this being any different than the actual test stand... it should be just fine.

For the Transmission Fluid leak concern, you could just temporary installed the slip yoke or get one of those plastic imitation, I believe summit sells them and there cheap. Just make sure you secure it to the tail shaft, tape with be just fine.

The main thing is not shifting the Transmission out of park, because that output shaft would be dancing around in that Transmission and liable to damage something. Good luck!

3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

That's a great idea, I never thought of that. ;)

4. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Thx appreciate the help I’m gonna go for it, I will post the results