Vacation garage find.

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by tskills10, Nov 13, 2011.

1. tskills10

tskills10 Veteran Member

LOOKING FOR SOME THOUGHTS!! Below is basically how my Camaro looks right now. When I got the hood I had thoughts of having it painted to match the rest of the car with the patina on the hood. Well, When I put it on "as is" I think the look of the black hood and black top just worked well together. A couple months ago I became friends with a guy who has a custom body shop here in town. We were at a show together this weekend and as we were sitting by the cars he asked me if I'd thought about painting the hood to match the car. I've been surprised by the number of people that have told me NOT to paint the car and just leave it with the original paint, even though it isn't all nice and shiny. This guy won the "Best Paint" award at the show, and even he was saying I should leave it with the "patina look". I do have a rust hole in the lower right rear quarter panel that he is saying we can fix and blend it in with the rest.

So my question here is, Do I go ahead and have the hood painted to match the patina of the car and have the rust hole fix and matched also?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  2. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well..you know, it's up to you! BUT IMHO, the hood is nice also in black: if it was an original hood I would have preferred that it matched the color of the car, but it have an aggressive cowl and the black accent make it more "justifiable" to the view.. if you know what I mean..

about the rust hole: fix it!

3. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

I vote for a nice paint job.

4. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think I would keep the hood black, gives it a mean look!

5. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

Man, I hate you.

That is an amazing find.

6. tskills10

tskills10 Veteran Member

Changing the hood from stock to this one really changed the attitude of the car. Kind of liked the sleeper look, but that was lost with the hood change. Thinking maybe recoup the sleeper look but matching the hood to the rest of the car. But I do like the meaner look also.

7. tskills10

tskills10 Veteran Member

WOW, hard to believe I have been away from this site and my page for so long. Part of the problem is that I did most of my site cruising while at work. the work system changed and most of the pictures don't come up anymore and I can't post pics from the work system.
    So some updates on the project.
    I've changed the rearend and put a 3.73 gears with a detriot trutrac diff and mosier axles.
    While changing the rear end I noticed that I had broken the ball stud on the side of the block for the c,utch linkage. As anybody else ever had that break? I didn't even know that it was broke until I looked at the linkage from under the car.
    So had to pull the engine to drill it out and fix it. got everything back together last spring in time for the summer cruising. Took it to Thompson raceway and ran the fastest it has gone with a 13.9 @ 99.
    Other than that I haven't done much to it. But it is all apart to make some upgrades. I'll list those with some pics soon.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  8. tskills10

tskills10 Veteran Member

I'll post pics soon. But as for what is being done now, a lot is going on. The whole front end is off along with the rear suspension and fuel tank. I didn't realize that the tank had to come out to get to the rear shackle bolts to drop the springs. But I'm replacing ALL of the bushings. Adding Caltracs and ditching the old slapper bars. I've installed subframe connectors. There's a new engine and trans going in also. I have a 385 stroker I'm putting in along with a tremec TKO 600. And looking at some other cosmetic changes also.

9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Your Wife's Uncle has the negotiation skills that of Gomez Adam's. That it a great story.

10. tskills10

tskills10 Veteran Member

20180120_145955.jpg 20180120_163411.jpg 20180121_003301.jpg 20180130_122019.jpg 20180130_224807.jpg