vacuum problems

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 75camaro03, Nov 16, 2006.

1. 75camaro03

75camaro03 Veteran Member

I got my new Proform 650 in today and i went down to my shop to hook it up and hear my poor camaro run for the first time since i can remember. well thats enough story. my problem is all the vacuum lines where taken off the car and i cant seem to figure them out. i know the transmission needs full vacuum but my carb is blocking the port on my performer intake were i had it hooked before. if I'm correct the brakes hook to the rear of the carb and the HEI dis hooks into the carb also. but where does the PVC hook? please anyone help me out I'm kinda in a bind and need to get this car running. thanks Jeremy

2. 75camaro03

ok i just did alittle bit of reading now that i have cooled down and had a "few". from what i understand i can hook the brakes and the pvc off the back of the carb with a "T" fitting. as for the hei i know i can just put it on any port on the carb. and for the trans im assuming i can put it off the other port on the carb but im going to have to brake the size of the line down quite a bit. is this right? thanks Jeremy

3. 75camaro03

TTT........ can anyone verify that this is the way i need to my hoses

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Depending on your combo, auto trans I suppose, you should need 3 basic hookups. DO NOT hook up PCV and brakes together...

PCV is a metered leak and should be on a line by itself, generally from the back of your Holley/Proform carb.

You can T the power brakes and trans modulator - usually off the intake manifold. You said this carb is interfering with this fitting, you can buy low profile elbows from several parts houses. There have been several post on this board about this problem, and a lot of solutions.

Now to your vacuum advance, depending on what you engine likes you can hook it to ported vacuum on the side of your carb, or to full time vacuum on the front/bottom of this carb. Just make sure vac advance is disconnected when you set initial timing. My engine makes very little vacuum at idle, so I use ported. If your engine makes enough vacuum to pull the advance all the way open at idle, then you will be better off with full time vacuum to you distributor.

If you still have vacuum heater control, that goes to full time.

And lastly - do not - hook PCV and brakes together... I know some guys will say they are doing it, but their day of no brakes is coming.

5. Travisty

Travisty Veteran Member

Can I ask what the reasoning behind this is? Both require full vacuum and both are using the same source for the vacuum whether you are pulling each from a separate port off the manifold/carb or they are tee'd off the same port.

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

PCV is a "metered" leak. In other words, it is a continuous vacuum leak by design. No OEM has ever hooked up power brakes to the same line with PCV.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  7. 75camaro03

thanks CorkyE thats how i have it set up now

8. lluciano77

lluciano77 Guest

OEM hook up the brakes and PCV sometimes. They use those vacuum trees that thread into the intake. You know the ones with the multiple ports. I still don't see the reasoning behind seperating them either. They end up at the same plenum anyway.