value of single cylinder heads.

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by jroach, Aug 12, 2018.

1. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

i have five cylinder heads laying around with five different casting numbers. one of them is a 487. others are 882,624,642 and 991. any of these have any more value than scrap? i know the 624s are junk heads. the 487 i had to take on a package deal to get some 291s and 461s

2. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

No offense here.

Why do people keep thinking a certain head is junk?
    Is it something you read somewhere?
    I have ran 2 sets of 624 castings and i ported both sets.. one went on a 355" and the other went on FIL 388 stroker I built for him.
    I milled .030" off of them and chambers ended up at 72cc I kept the factory 1.94-1.50 valves.
    214-224@ .050 cam in the 388" and RPM intake.. It pulled super hard to 6700rpm where the optimum shift point was.
    Can't sneeze at that.
    The 355" was not as fast as I ran a 268H cam in it and no headers and I had RPM intake. shifted it at 6000 rpm for best et but it would pull hard to 6500 then float the valves..I had stock low pressure valve springs on it.

Buddy had 487X heads on his 355" with the same 268H cam and RPM intake and headers.It was all done at 5500 rpm in first and 5000 rpm in second was all she had.. power just went flat.

I Ported a set of 601 305 heads for him and ran the factory single valve job just lapped the valves and the factory 1.84-1.50 valves.
    Those ported heads on the same shortblock now made it rev to 6500 rpm in first and 6000 rpm in second.
    he went 5 MPH faster in the 1/4 mile.

Are the 487X junk?
    No ..What is junk is a 76cc head left in stock form.
    Not really junk as much as not a good choice for making power. You need to port them.
    Once ported almost all the smogger heads will perform very well.
    Not a thing wrong with running different casting number heads on an engine either.
    As long as the chamber shape and size is the same or really close.

Engine can't read casting numbers.. all it knows is airflow and compression.
    Just saying if that is what you have on hand and need an engine to go down the road mismatch heads will work fine.
    You ever pull an engine apart and see 1.94 and 2.02 valves in the same head or some holes were bored .030 over and others were stock.
    It happens and you would never know it while driving it.

3. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

old iron heads that need machined....scrap

NYH1 likes this.
  4. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Here we go again....:rolleyes:

NYH1.

5. jeff swisher

I must agree with 351maverick.
    If they need much done to them.
    I have a few odd ball heads here but I will not toss them as the guides are all good and the seats are decent.
    You could lap the valves and clean up the heads and run them.
    That is worth keeping.
    I could not sell them as no one wants them.. Finding someone that wants that part number is the kicker.
    Anymore I like the 601 castings. But I like compression and those chambers are very thick so you can modify them as you wish.
    I have 8 of those 601 castings set back and gave 25 for the last 2 pairs I purchased.

I tend to hang onto stuff though. I bet I have at least 75 carburetors. are they scrap.. some might be but I pull parts off of them now and then. I do the same with the odd ball heads.
    Need a good 1.50 valve.. go pull one. need another retainer. sitting right on that odd ball head.
    Knock the mud dauber nest off of it :)

6. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Im really asking if they are sellable. I have 8 other pairs of heads that im not currently using. As far as the 624 being junk, they are prone to cracks in the exhaust seat area. I have found several like that. With the exception of the 487 these are all 1.72 valve heads. I was not saying a smog head cant run well. I run heavily worked over smoggers in my car now. It runs very well. Im mainly limited by low compression and a small cam. If i simply swapped pistons i could gain a full point in cr and go up to a 268 or 272 cam

7. jeff swisher

Over heated heads are prone to crack.
    But your question here is a head from your area on craigslist almost ready to run seems like anyway.
    for $35 asking price
    https://toledo.craigslist.org/pts/d/sbc-350-single-head-casting/6650160130.html

Yours could be worth 1/2 or 1/4 of that I do not know.
    Scrap price would be what about 2 bucks depending on weight and what scrap is bringing in your area.

Now boat anchors and I am not kidding here get hung up all the time where I fish and I must cut the rope.
    I use large rocks not like rip rap rocks for anchors.
    But they slide in the sand when I fish sand bars in sandy lakes.
    I would bet an old cylinder head would dig in pretty good to the sand as an anchor.
    No idea if you fish or even use an anchor or have buddies with boats that do.
    You could trade them for a fishing trip or Beer :)

Thinking outside the box here.

8. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

You might want to step up to something like THESE if you like iron heads.

Flow #'s Int/Eht
    .200" 139/117
    .300" 194/154
    .400" 233/179
    .500" 260/195
    .600" 296/205
    .600" 269/205

Buy them unassembled, then have them set up for you setup.

NYH1.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  9. jeff swisher

10. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

jeff swisher likes this.