Van Nuys Jacks

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by 70 Six Banger, Feb 8, 2021.

1. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

I am still relatively new on here, and I joined because this site seemed more geared toward originality than modification. I know that a lot of information is already known about 2nd Gen Camaros, but I haven't seen much info about the jacks installed in Van Nuys, CA built Camaros. My '70 still has its original jack and I know that it is completely different than one from a Norwood, OH built car. It has a square mast, not trapezoidal, it is approx. 33" in length, has a different jack hook (part number 3990416), and it has no date code or part number on the mast. I posted quite a few photos of it which can be found on this site by searching for "1970 Camaro with a 6-Cylinder and a 3-speed Manual". I will repost the photos on this thread if anyone would like. I know that some info on these jacks has already been gathered by fellow member "L78" (thanks for your research), but I was unable to find any postings specifically regarding his findings.

I do frequent searches on Ebay for interesting and original 1970 Camaro parts and found a listing a couple of days ago for an original square-masted jack from a '70 Chevelle being sold by a seller named "theparthunter" (see link at bottom of this post). I asked him if there was a date or GM part number anywhere on the jack, as well as the length of the mast portion. He responded with "there is never a date or part number on these jacks, and the mast is shorter on Camaros". The seller knows that Calif. jacks are different from other jacks, and he is apparently well-versed on them...he lives in Roseville, CA and is currently selling 466 parts on Ebay. He also owns a Calif-built '70 Z (I asked him for photos and exact measurements of his Z's jack, but he may be too busy to be bothered with that).

I know from a recent search on here that there were apparently 3 different hood hinges used on '70 Camaros that were built at either Van Nuys or Norwood (thanks "DCL70" for your research), so I'm wondering how many different jacks were used in Van Nuys built early 2nd Gens (it appears there were possibly different jack mast lengths used). Maybe owners of other early 2nd Gens can post photos of their jacks on here with info regarding visible date codes or GM part numbers, mast lengths, part numbers of jack hooks, and colors of components.

If this is a duplicate of info already posted on this site, then I apologize. As always, thanks and best regards, Alex.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Cheve...454/254813655152?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  2. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

I am posting another square-masted jack that is currently on Ebay for comparison to the above-posted jack (another Chevelle jack). This jack is stated as being from "a 28,000 mile Grandma car". I can tell you from personal experience that women and "Grandmas" (also known as "little-old-ladies") seldom change anything on their cars, and they don't use the jacks stashed in the trunks of their ultra-original rides. The seller is an experienced Ebayer named "bowtieman2" and he hails from Saskatchewan. I asked the seller if there was a date code or GM part number on the jack and said it had no part number, but both the jack's ratcheting mechanism and base had date codes of "0C" stamped on them (March '70). The car that this jack came from was probably built in the Fremont, CA plant.

I am fairly certain that West Coast jacks were produced by Walker Manufacturing Co., while Norwood jacks were made by Universal Manufacturing Co. I am still gathering information about West Coast jacks and would appreciate any info that can be provided by other members on here. It appears that Walker was not the best at stamping date codes on their jacks, and I still don't know if they ever stamped GM part numbers onto their jacks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Cheve...-GM/265014442128?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  3. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I can't offer any info about the jack, but you might have better luck getting info in the Original Drivetrain Topic instead of the 70-73 Section.

Originality gurus in here ----> https://nastyz28.com/forums/original-drivetrain-topic.31/

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Try searching here on the forum for (jack Norwood Van Nuys)
    You should come up with lots of previous threads discussing this subject.

5. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

Thanks Budz and Gary...I admit I am relatively new on here and therefore not the best versed on where to go. I know there has already been some research done on this topic...just trying to add to what's already known.

Gary, if it's possible, could you or someone else please move this post over to the correct section...I would sure appreciate it!

6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Lots to read with this Google search:

1970 jack site:nastyz28.com

Google for me searches much better than the site search engine.

also, member DCL70 has researched bumper jacks extensively.

7. DCL70

DCL70 Veteran Member

1970 Camaro "Van Nuys" jack assembly stamped "C" and "0" in photo #4 (March 1970) on the top of the 32.5" long shaft ("square" cross section).
    This jack assembly came from California. The jack was made by the Walker Manufacturing Co. (same company that makes mufflers).
    Dave

Jack 70 Camaro Van Nuys 0C - 1 of 7.jpg Jack 70 Camaro Van Nuys 0C - 2 of 7.jpg Jack 70 Camaro Van Nuys 0C - 3 of 7.jpg Jack 70 Camaro Van Nuys 0C - 4 of 7.jpg Jack 70 Camaro Van Nuys 0C - 5 of 7.jpg Jack 70 Camaro Van Nuys 0C - 6 of 7.jpg

8. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

Dave...that is a beautiful jack...thanks for posting it. I didn't mean to hijack your thread from 2008, which I didn't discover until after I had posted this latest info. I know that VN jacks are pretty rare and I am constantly searching for them for sale on Ebay, so when I found a nice Chevelle VN jack I posted it hoping to hear from a few other guys about their similar jacks. I was then directed to this area by administrator Gary as it is apparently the "correct" area to talk about boring, mundane stuff like original jacks and such...and Gary, thanks!

Your jack is basically identical to the one in my '70 "little-old-lady" California Camaro with a couple of minor differences...it has no date code and all of its parts are black. The jack mast measures right at 33". The jack hook has a GM part number stamped on it and it appears to be identical to yours. There is moderate rusting on both the base, mast, and ratcheting mechanism due to the car sitting in a Seattle-area driveway and getting rained on for about 17 years. I do not plan on painting or restoring anything on the car, so the jack will remain crusty and untouched.

If this info can be incorporated into the excellent data you've already accumulated, then so be it. Otherwise, maybe it can remain and more data can be gathered with a 13 year-newer post :). Best regards, Alex