Vehicle history, VIN trace

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by DrPepper, Mar 15, 2021.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

This isn't a Chevy, but I want to 'try' to trace the ownership history of my latest project.
    I just purchased a 1952 Henry J Corsair. Yep, it's a Henry J. And solid as a rock. All steel w/ very little rust.
    I have the VIN and the cowl tag has lots of numbers to decode. And I know this topic has been covered before about Chevy's. But this is a different bird. I found a Henry J web site, but there is very little activity.
    But can anyone suggest where to start to trace the vehicle's history?

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Put up some pic's. Some one is likely to know.

3. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've been trying to find ownership history for my L78 for 5 years. Unfortunately privacy is the issue anymore. No DMVs will give you anything about history of a vin. There are NICB checks .(National insurance beureu check) But it will require law enforcement to get involved. Also a car that old may have been purged from most DMVs since its so old. I hope maybe someone else here can help further. Good luck with your search.

budro6968 likes this.
  4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I went that route a few years ago. Even with LEO and The Insurance bureau along with the Fl DMV. The internal share of info is a thing of the past since 911. They tried but had to drop the ball. You probably can't even make a direct call to out of state DMV people. You get on a message loop that never ends and your call gets dropped.