Very odd ignition problem and spark plug wire resistance values....

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 70SSRS350, Jul 8, 2021.

1. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

My bad, I haven't seen where he tested the actual voltage at the plug wire end. Timing light is the only way I know how.

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You really need to set up a checklist at this point and go back over everything in a very methodical way.
    At this point chasing different potential problems as they seem to pop up isn’t getting you anywhere. Once you are 100% sure your install is bulletproof then there aren’t too many places to go except the carb, which could definitely be the issue or something internal which sounds unlikely. But you need to rule everything else out first.

Timing- what’s your initial timing and advance? Check it again and verify.

Firing order- Check this first and even if you checked it before check it again. When I was setting up my engine I thought I was sure I had it right but it turned out I had 2 wires crossed even though I had checked it twice.

Where is your vacuum advance hooked to on the carb. Is it in the correct connection.

Are there any open vacuum ports in the carb that need to be capped

Where are you getting your vacuum for your power brakes.

is your carb evenly tightened Doern and not over tightened or loose.

Is the gasket between the carb and the intake in good shape.

Are you using a carb spacer. Is it properly installed.

Verify your fuel filter is good. If you don’t have a clear one where you can see the filter just change the old one out. Make sure the filter is facing correctly and fuel is flowing through it in the right direction.

Does your carb have its own fuel filter? Verify that is installed correctly and clean.

If you have a pressure gauge verify your are getting fuel to the carb at the right pressure. If you dont, disconnect the fuel line and run it to a jar or bucket and crank the engine over with the coil disconnected so it doesn’t fire and verify your fuel pump is working. If the engine is running at all the pump is probably good but check the boxes.

You are running a pertronix electronic ignition instead of pouts it looks like? Make sure that is installed properly. I don’t know how to test it to verify it is working but you could reinstall the points and see if that fixes it.

Check your grounds….battery to engine, Engine to frame etc. Engine to body. A bad ground can do crazy things. Coil ground, distributor ground.

Check positive connections as well at the starter and battery.

Is the distributor tight.

Check all the manifold bolts and Re-torque them in order.

Although some of these things may not seem relevant, going back over your install in detail and verifying everything may lead you to the problem in an unexpected place.

There is probably more to check but that will get you started.
    C183D986-8DE8-4482-A83F-A48CC9F86B5B.png

70SSRS350 likes this.
  3. 70SSRS350

70SSRS350 Veteran Member

Sorry for confusion, but the diagram picture I posted is not firing voltage but it's compression test (with European pressure units, Bar or ATM)....

4. 70SSRS350

70SSRS350 Veteran Member

Yes, of course, I've got a timing light and I've already checked the spark of each wire plug.
    I've already replaced distributor cap, rotor, 3 coils, wires and spark plugs: no difference.

About the Pertronix Ignitor 2, I've already removed it and put back points (with proprer coil) but nothing changed, so now I reinstalled the Pertronix.

5. 70SSRS350

70SSRS350 Veteran Member

End of the story.... after 2 months checking, testing and replacing ignition parts with no improvements, today I found the issue in.... the carburator.
    As I wrote yesterday, cylinders of one plenum of my dual plane intake were not working.
    And, in fact, there was a very small piece of dirt (maybe sealant?) inside one of the primary jets.
    The carburator has been already cleaned but this little bastard didn't go away....
    Once cleaned and reassembled the carb, now the engine is running like a swiss clock...
    You can only image how many Italian bad words I spoke!

Attached Files:

MChamp and cadillac_al like this.
  6. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Glad you found the problem, actually that's a fairly large piece of dirt for inside any carburetor. LOL

70SSRS350 likes this.
  7. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Congrats! Fuel……..

70SSRS350 likes this.
  8. 70SSRS350

70SSRS350 Veteran Member

Yes, that was the real problem, the carb was very clean (beside this small debris) and looked fine. So it was impossible to think about dirt in the carb...

9. Patstuff28

Patstuff28 Veteran Member

It’s always a plus to be able to swear in more than one language. Good job fixing the problem!

70SSRS350 likes this.
  10. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

What prompted you to check inside the jets? (Easy to overlook)