Vibration at 60+

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Dustin18436572, Jun 7, 2021.

1. 1970_Z28_503

1970_Z28_503 Veteran Member

Front vibration or do you feel it in the seat of your pants? If front then wheel bearings would be my first stop. if its in the back, I had some new U-joints that weren't properly greases and that caused some vibration in the rear at speed. Also these 2nd gens are notorious for Pinion angle problems. I had to add shim to the rear end and use spacers to lift trans that helped a lot but I still have a slight high speed vibration I cant figure out.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Check end-to-end play at the U-joints, not just rotational "slop".
    If there's any wiggle between the caps (or clips) the driveshaft will vibrate when running at a steady speed with minimal load on the U-joint.

I still need to get around to replacing the yoke on my rear end due to it being slightly splayed out. :(

3. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Unfortunately, vibration can come from a lot of different places, and for different reasons. Putting up the car and "driving" it in the air isn't a great way to test that, as without the road, you are missing all of the load. I've been under a few neighbors cars lately, and it's fascinating to see weight bolted to the oddest components, obviously battling vibration. A friend's Durango has a weight bolted to the transfer case. The point is, check everything in the driveline. Mounts especially. I Don't think it's safe to eliminate anything based on your "test".

I really think biker is on to something, straight and balanced are two different things.

4. rarebmx

rarebmx New Member

This sounds an awful lot like the angle if your driveshaft. If you lowered the car you changed the angle if the driveshaft. May want to check that. I lowered me car years ago, just 1" and never had a vibration prior to that. Once I adjusted my angle, all smooth

5. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The factory wheels are HUB Centric. The lug nuts only hold the wheel tight, they don't center anything. And in the case of the factory 15 inch five spoke wheels, if using a proper bulge 60 degree taper lug nut, wheel hole wear is not a factor.
    Now with his big ass wheels and tires I can almost bet that his problem is right there, A good shop that knows how to use a Road Force Balancer will find the problem....... this should've been his first step.
    I found out the hard way that a sticking front caliper will cause a vibration at speed when the rotor heats up. This was just recently on my 2019 Challenger.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  6. Rayden2009

Rayden2009 Veteran Member Gold Member

If the OP has stock rims and they are hub centric, then my post is of no value. I thought I read somewhere factory rims where lug centric (which would be dumb).
    Personal experience has thought me that chasing vibrations on these cars is a long road. I have eliminated about 90% of mine by doing a combination of about 4 things but still don't have a glass smooth ride at high speeds. Someday I hope.

7. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I still say that Tires and Wheels are where most of these at speed vibrations come from.
    My 5 spoke wheels had one wheel that had a strange wobble to it, that a shop...expensive... FOUND and was able to fix.
    Next about a year later, I dumped the Radial T/As and got new Cooper Cobra Radials and had them all Road Force Balanced by the same shop that did that run out wheel. But it has to be a shop that specializes in this wheel/tire vibration issues....not Costco..not Pep Boys...not Firestone... not Goodyear, they could give a rats' ass. But a shop that works on performance cars. Look at the cars they're working on. 28 PSI in these tires and my car will cruise at 70-80 without a vibration of any kind. 100mph the other night

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Dave Nelson likes this.
  8. Rayden2009

Rayden2009 Veteran Member Gold Member

I agree with the pro wheel balance. I had a performance shop balance mine and they told me my original Costco balance was over a oz out per wheel. No big deal on say a Ram 1500, but on my low profiles it made a huge difference. Its definitely one of the things to cross off the vibration “to do” list.

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

what did i tell you about the 28 psi tire pressure. Parmesan cheese also works on a salad.

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

You Sir are a true renaissance man. I did drop my pressures to 28 just to try it and it works great. I was always a 32 pounds guy and when hot, the tires are just too hard.

Bandit723 likes this.