Vibration at 60+

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Dustin18436572, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Dustin18436572

Dustin18436572 Member

Thank you again guys for all your responses. I will try to lower my tire pressure. I have to do a few things to the car before I can try messing with pinion angles etc. I will keep everyone posted. Thank you!

2. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]

3. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

If a car is lowered say 1", Which way to go on the transmission mount to correct the pinion angle? Is there a rule to follow?

4. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

A tire balance vibration will often go away at higher speeds. That was mentioned a couple pages ago. We are waiting to see if the vibes get worse at 80-90 mph. If it was the driveshaft it should get worse at higher speeds.

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

A 1/8 spacer at the trans mount got rid of my vibration, but it can still appear slightly with a full tank and a heavy passenger at high speeds. I'm hoping that swapping to more stable, stiffer rear springs with a tough more height than my sagging stockers will cure that.

75Maro likes this.
  6. kenny77

A tire that has any kind or heavy spot or sort of lateral defect in it MAY BALANCE OUT FINE.....but I promise the vibration will not " Go Away" at a higher speed. It may reduce, but a defect, lateral run out or a heavy spot in a tire is not the same thing as an out of balance tire. That's why your usual tire shops that everyone goes to....suck....at diagnosing these problems. And that's where the shop with the specialized tire equipment and the Hunter Machines, and guys that care enough to actually use them come in.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  7. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

It would be interesting to know if moving the tire/wheels to different spots on the car makes a difference. For example, if it appears there's no vibration in the back, what happens if you move those tires/wheels to the front and the fronts to the back?

8. Best Of Both

Best Of Both New Member

Ok I’m new to the site and a former GM tech that spent most of my 30 years at GM dealers. You said the vibration started after upgrades. Do you have old parts to try? Secondly vibrations occur at cycles per seconds or hz. There is a way to narrow down which component is causing the vibration. In the old days we had a reed tachometer then let’s say the reading was 60 hz. You could then calculate which component turns 60 times per second by the diameter of components. There is likely an app for that today. Drive line angles can be a big cause on second gens. Aftermarket rotors may not be balanced. You can measure tire run out by putting duct tape around the center of a tire and using a dial indicator.

9. kenny77

Yeah the OP has some real tire wheel work to do IMO

It's kinda like this,
    The OP has a set of Bias Ply Tires..........These are known to be turds and ride killers....Period.
    Then the OP swapped for a set of old Radial T/As and wheels....Swapping for an old set of Radial T/As which IMO could also be turds....is not a valid test of anything at all.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would have the trueness of the rims checked. In ‘85 I had all mine checked and if any needed an adjustment, they were. I have no vibrations from 0-90. Don’t know about 90+.