Vin on engine/trans stamping procedure on the assly line?

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by 72'z'steve, Nov 22, 2020.

1. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

I have what I believe to be a stamping irregularity on the pad of my 72 SS-396. The suffix code is correct for the car, and every digit of the VIN is as well. The last digit of the VIN is zero, and it appears as if the lower part of 6 was used to stamp it. I have a picture saved somewhere, and I will post it when I locate it.

2. 1970_Z28_503

1970_Z28_503 Veteran Member

My cars trans and the partial vin on the engine block by oil cooler are from the car right before mine or 1 off. As I understand this was not unheard of because the stamp they used sometimes didn't cycle correctly?

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

That pics is of my trans stamping on my 74 z28. I have seen other M21 1974 z28s with the same exact date stamping with VIN's obliterated. I think these were left over M21's they were using up before the T10's were used.

4. tommy1727

tommy1727 New Member

I can’t attest directly about Norwood or stamping irregularities. However, having worked at 2 different GMAD plants (Leeds & Fairfax) in the mid 80’s while in college, I can attest to the lack of quality control or even inspection of key items. The things I witnessed occurring blew my mind. People really didn’t give a crap especially if they were unhappy about what GM was doing or something a supervised did or said. Imagine working at a place where the company that hired you has little or no control over your work or performance. That’s what it was like. So, this is almost surely a mistake, possibly even intentional, but my guess is no one caught it or if they did no one said anything, just let it go on down the line.

5. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

I was curious as to the procedure,was the engine and trans stamped once they were a unit bolted together ie guy stamps engine,then uses same stamp to stamp trans,or were they stamped individually on floor and then mated. Meaning the one "assembly" with trans 4 units later has a mate where the engine has a trans 4 units earlier. Just curious
    Many of my fathers side family worked at AMC in Kenosha in the 70's the stories they told of things they did makes me understand why americans bought foriegn cars.My uncle Norbert worked in the door assembly area,he'd brag about throwing extra door handles or cranks in the door so they would rattle,make noise for the customer,One "classic" was hanging a door handle by wire inside the door so it clanked when you turned with a note "YOU FOUND IT" :( Even as a 7 year old kid hearing this I didn't get it or the rest of the family hooting and yucking it up.Uncle also bragged about throwing the lunch leftovers in the door [They must have ate in the cars on the line????]
    I can MAYBE see jacking around with the boss/supervisor or whos irking you,but why the guy who is buying/paying for the product you build??Nearly 50 years later I still don't "get" it--Later Steve!!

6. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

Most of the time the examples have matching characteristics meaning the stamps were done by the same gang stamp group - the engines were pulled PER vehicle order and mated with the transmissions prior to engine dress -Vins stamped and engines outfitted with cabr alt smog dist cap plug wires starter harness engine wire harness laid over the top of the assembly prior to mating the subframe and body.

7. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

^^^^Thanks,that what I thought would make sense,but you never know what "procedure " was.We are humans so things do happen-Later Steve!!

8. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's been my understanding that the VIN stamp on engine & trans were done at the same time. But like Phil mentioned in post #4, if assembly line worker went on a break, they stopped while next person took over and they forgot to load new VIN number that was in holder. These numbers were loaded manually in gang stamp by hand.