VINTAGE AC ARE THEY HARD TO INSTALL

PThomas

Apr 2, 2018
:lush::lush::lush: I have seen a couple installs, Shouldn't be too bad but under the dash ....sux, This project is way down on the list for me...but I did prepare when I did the smooth firewall fill plate by welding in a 1 1/4" long 1/4-20 bolt in the XXXX hole to hang the "new" fan assembly inside...
The fan mounts somewhere else?

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Its not "hard", but its a process....and a pain in the azz on certain steps. I recommend the small diameter hose with the clips for the hose ends over the large hose crimp type.

1978 Z/28

Veteran Member
Jul 17, 2017
New Brunswick
I installed mine but dash pad was not installed at time not hard at all. Worst part is running duct hoses. I bought a Vintage Air E-Z hose kit expensive but easy to install at home and do not need special crimpers, you can test all connections when you are done.

PThomas

Apr 2, 2018
yes ...full self contained UNDER the dash. Your big ol squirrel cage is GONE..thats where the hoses go from inside to under the hood.

YES... about the only things you use from GM are the vents!
Well, now it's just a matter of parting with around $1800 and getting into the right frame of mind to do it. I'll check in occasionally after I get started.

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
Yeah, I'm sure I can do it. I imagine it's one of those jobs that requires me to be motivated to do it first, and then work slow and steady on it. No shortcuts. Try not to get in a rush. Keep work area organized and as clean as I possibly can, and keep focus.
It could be one of the most rewarding things I've done to a car, or I could get off track and have a nervous breakdown.
Thinking very hard about ordering the kit this weekend.
I’m right behind you. I will tackle when the engine is out for a 383 swap. I have already purchased a new da$h pad to go back in. Please let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
I installed mine but dash pad was not installed at time not hard at all. Worst part is running duct hoses. I bought a Vintage Air E-Z hose kit expensive but easy to install at home and do not need special crimpers, you can test all connections when you are done.

Do you know if that’s what comes with the Surefit series?

Latest posts