VINTAGE AC ARE THEY HARD TO INSTALL

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
OP sorry for the hijack:

to all, I plan to buy the Surefit version. But I am also seriously considering moving the compressor to the pass side. Any suggestion on the hoses (since they won’t need to be as long).

1978 Z/28

Veteran Member
Jul 17, 2017
New Brunswick
I used the e-z clip, much easier to run lines and you can pressure test them yourself. I bought the condenser kit, evaporator kit and E-Z clip because I wanted to use Holley's front drive system.

1978 Z/28

Veteran Member
Jul 17, 2017
New Brunswick
The Holley system was 70 dollars cheaper than Chevy's serpentine drive from the local Chevy dealership and it was delivered to my home in Canada from Summit

CHU1264

Jun 3, 2021
Alabama
Okay folks I’m about 3/4’s of the way with my sure fit install. No real issues. Had to cut a small amount of the rear bracket for the compressor to make room for the power steering bracket (didn't want to move bracket 2” from headers to clear ps bracket. Had to order more 2 1/2 “ hose as I only received 10’ and need close to 12’. Inner fender removal was a pain, hopefully going back it will be smoother.
Could someone please look at the attached pic of my old harness and let me know which wire I can splice into for the VA accessory wire on the new harness. To be honest I have looked at the wiring diagram for my 73 and cant make anything out of the schematic for the non ac control harness.
As usual, I appreciate any help folks.

Attachments

• HARNESS.jpg
    HARNESS.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 39

CHU1264

Jun 3, 2021
Alabama
Okay folks I’m about 3/4’s of the way with my sure fit install. No real issues. Had to cut a small amount of the rear bracket for the compressor to make room for the power steering bracket (didn't want to move bracket 2” from headers to clear ps bracket. Had to order more 2 1/2 “ hose as I only received 10’ and need close to 12’. Inner fender removal was a pain, hopefully going back it will be smoother.
Could someone please look at the attached pic of my old harness and let me know which wire I can splice into for the VA accessory wire on the new harness. To be honest I have looked at the wiring diagram for my 73 and cant make anything out of the schematic for the non ac control harness.
As usual, I appreciate any help folks.
Sorry, I meant to say what would be considered the “run” wire from the attached pic.

1978 Z/28

Veteran Member
Jul 17, 2017
New Brunswick
You only need a switched power wire when key is run position which connects to the violet wire, on 78 Camaro it is the heater switch power wire brown in colour which comes from the fuse block. Take a test light and see which wire has power when key it run position, probably the brown wire on connector, connect violet wire to that wire

69MyWay

Aug 14, 2011
Clinton, IL
I’ve done it many times. In fact I was able to do some magazines back in the day on a 76 firebird and my 69 Camaro. I think it is an essential upgrade. You can always go wide open throttle but you can sit at a red light with controlled climate. Helps your defrost work better too and cleans up the firewall.

You can get to those at www.mcspeed.com and click on the link for my older site or at www.mcspeed.homestead.com

Latest posts