VINTAGE AC ARE THEY HARD TO INSTALL

CHU1264

Jun 3, 2021
Alabama
You only need a switched power wire when key is run position which connects to the violet wire, on 78 Camaro it is the heater switch power wire brown in colour which comes from the fuse block. Take a test light and see which wire has power when key it run position, probably the brown wire on connector, connect violet wire to that wire
Thanks for the response..I will look closer at the brown wire in the wiring schematic. I would like to get the wiring completed while the dash is still out. If needed, I can just wait until I get the dash/batt installed and check voltage as you suggested.

hullj21

Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2012
Brownsburg, In
Well, now it's just a matter of parting with around $1800 and getting into the right frame of mind to do it. I'll check in occasionally after I get started.
Hit up “affordable street rods” in KS. These folks know Vintage Air very well and are dealers. They also happened to be the best price I could find. You don’t necessarily need the “Kit” they will put together a package for your specific requirements. It’s the only place I’d go to for anything pertaining to Vintage Air. The custom install is not hard at all, it takes some patience and some time. But a monkey could be trained to do it. I’d recommend you remove your dash but understand if that’s not in your wheel house. The unit is way better than the factory system. It’s really a well thought out and designed product. Best of luck.

CHU1264

Jun 3, 2021
Alabama
Just finished a test run with the new VA install. Everything working fine and no real surprises during the installation.
It was 86 deg today and having a/c is going to great this summer.
Thanks for all the great comments and tech advice on this site.
It helped a lot..

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
I'm curious what the temp output is on the VA system.
(My factory system puts out 39 degrees on an 80 degree day.)

I just replaced all of the factory parts ahead of the firewall (last year) and made sure everything was sealed and functioning properly under the dash.

Reactions: oPh

CHU1264

Jun 3, 2021
Alabama
I'm curious what the temp output is on the VA system.
(My factory system puts out 39 degrees on an 80 degree day.)

I just replaced all of the factory parts ahead of the firewall (last year) and made sure everything was sealed and functioning properly under the dash.
Twisted Metal, center vent measured 40 deg @ 1200 rpm (windows up).

johndock

Apr 27, 2006
Did mine in 2021, like others have said, give yourself time and be real organized. I took my dash and passenger seat out for more room. Klowny video was great. It's awesome to have heat and a/c in my 70 Camaro. New compressors are hardly noticeable when I turn it on.

rubrhammer

Sep 25, 2012
Bulls Gap TN
Hit up “affordable street rods” in KS. These folks know Vintage Air very well and are dealers. They also happened to be the best price I could find. You don’t necessarily need the “Kit” they will put together a package for your specific requirements. It’s the only place I’d go to for anything pertaining to Vintage Air. The custom install is not hard at all, it takes some patience and some time. But a monkey could be trained to do it. I’d recommend you remove your dash but understand if that’s not in your wheel house. The unit is way better than the factory system. It’s really a well thought out and designed product. Best of luck.
A couple of things that I don't like about the VA is running the hoses from the unit all the way out to the engine and RD can. Looping through the grommets sucks. Also it requires a very low location for the one hose. Picture shows how I got around both conditions. I'll plug the old hole before I'm done. Thus adds cost on the fittings but is a much cleaner installation in my opinion. I've used Southern Air and VA is a much better product.

Attachments

• 0331220958.jpg
    0331220958.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 63

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
Check out classicautoair.com as an option. Great product and the ECU is second to none.

I used their kit about 14 years ago or so when they still had the cable mechanisms. But the performance is still superb today. I get about 37-38 deg output on a 85-90 deg day.

One thing I did though was insulate the hoses behind the dash with some foam covering as well as put some ceramic tint on the windows (to block infrared). Basically trying to maximize the thermal efficiency.