Vintage Air install while engine is out

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
I have ordered the VA Surefit kit for my 79 (which did have factory air). I be doing an engine swap too. My first priority is to get the new engine running. But while the engine is out, are there any tasks that will be much easier to do while the engine is out? If so, I’ll go ahead and do them at that time.

On a related note, I’ll be installing a GM serpentine accessory drive at the same time, which will move the A/C compressor to the passenger side.

wnmech

Veteran Member
Jul 20, 2014
grand prairie tx.
When I installed my VA system in my 71 non factory A/C it was easier in install the old heater block off plate. Since you are installing the serpentine belt system on your car make sure you buy a reverse flow water pump.

need-for-speed

Veteran Member
Feb 7, 2003
Conroe, TX
Thank you wn! Good point. I will make sure to remove the evap box (aka “the suitcase:p) and install the block off plate while the engine is out. I May need to do more research on hose routing too and how that relates to the block off plate.

Water pump is reverse flow. Thx. I am researching what type of (mechanical / clutch type ) fan to buy. From another member, it looks like a fan from 91ish Caprice is the way to go.

Latest posts