Vintage Air & M-21 Question

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by CHU1264, Jan 13, 2022.

1. CHU1264

CHU1264 New Member

I have finally come to the conclusion that I will not survive another summer without A/C while cruising. In my teens, neither of the two Camaro’s I owned had A/C and I cannot remember ever complaining. It has taken me a while to make the decision to add the A/C kit to what I consider a ”mostly“ unmolested engine bay on the ole girl but I will eventually get over the new look , as she will still have her “born with” drivetrain.
    Now for my question, what can I expect as far as issues, if any, having a close ratio transmission on an A/C car? Thanks for any input and apologizes if I missed this topic on the topic search.
    121413-0f5c4a181db12c056961bfb8cf1ab08c.jpg

2. fbody_mike

fbody_mike Veteran Member

I have a vintage air kit with an m20 4 speed and while it has only been one season so far I have no problems. I have ripped through the gears with the AC on and nothing has broke. I shift at 6k though. The compressor the kit uses is supposed to be capable of high rpms. I've been happy with the kit. And yes I'm older now too and less tolerant of the heat. When I found myself skipping drives because it was too hot I knew it was time to install AC.

3. CHU1264

CHU1264 New Member

Me too on a few cancellations this past summer Mike. Just wondering what to expect after installation of the kit with the m21, since they weren’t an option when you ordered a car new.
    By the way, no 6k shifting here☹️..
    Thanks for your thoughts on this..

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

I have the VA and an M21. No problems. I could be wrong, but I think it shuts the clutch off at a certain RPM to avoid damage to the compressor. One of the best mods I ever made. Stuck in gridlock for an hour and 40 minutes on a high temp and humid day and swore right then and there I was putting air in. I'm old too, and figured most of the time I would be driving it, it would be on nice hot days.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The tranny doesn't make a difference with A/C. The M21 will work just the same as an M20 would, and it will work the same with A/C as it did without it.

6. CHU1264

CHU1264 New Member

Th

7. CHU1264

CHU1264 New Member

Thanks for the input folks..

8. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

I have factory AC in my 70 SS L-34 with a M20 4spd still uses R-12, will freeze you out on the highway but the BB will tend to run hot in traffic with the AC on.