Vintage Air question(s)

unrestored72Z

Veteran Member
Feb 17, 2000
Sacramento, CA
If vintage air is installed, does the system also supply the heat like a new car, where the compressor is spinning to have heat?
Or does the water still go through the heater core and only needs the fan to push the hot air?

Does it matter if its a factory air car, or not?

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
I believe the heater core and evaporator are both built into the under-dash units, like Vintage Air.
Compressor doesn't need to run for heat.
Some of the parts are different if the car originally has A/C, or not.

daniel76309

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 22, 2005
Niceville, Florida
There is a separate heater core and evaporator contained in the VA housing. The AC works way better than factory, but the heater, not so much, at least that is my experience. It is plenty adequate for NW Florida, but in a colder climate, not sure.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Good write-up here on the process...

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Like new cars? From my understanding todays cars still produce heat by pushing hot coolant through a core. That’s what the VA system does too. I think VA even though the system works, is low quality. I wish I knew how well the stock system worked.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
The factory 2nd gen A/C system works quite well.
As long as all of the vacuum actuators are functioning and the duct work is sealed properly.

Personally... I think it blows more air than my '15 Impala.

Huggar

Aug 25, 2022
I’m new to the site, and have tired searching-but wasn’t very successful.
If my questions have been asks and answered many times, like some other car sites I’m on, I apologize.

We have a non-factory air conditioning 70’ model. Seems to be a fairly basic RS trim package, small block 4-speed car. Its mostly stock with a few 1980’s looking modifications.
As a non-factory AC car it doesn’t have any vents in the dash. What are my options for getting AC in this car? How are folks liking the Vintage AC brand? Other options/brands for another AC system? It seems like it’s going to be costly, plus quite a bit of work to get it all installed and working nicely.
Any tips, tricks, experience to share with me? The car will be operated in the central region of Arizona where we have 100 degrees temps often in the summer months. Currently it’s using a stock type of 3 core radiator, and a nice shroud, that’s just barely keeping the engine cool enough to run.
350 c.i.d. Carbureted engine. Bucket seats with the stock center condole, hurst shift level. I believe it’s a wide ratio Muncie 21, stock 10 bolt open rear differential with probably 3:70 gearing or there about, tires are probably 28” or 29” tall…..but I’d like to get into the gearing and acceleration performance at another time.
Of course I’ll need to buy a kit, probably Vintage Brand. And a more efficient radiator? And New dash with the vents made into it, or are other there other neat options available? Thank you

Attachments

• 71FCFCF1-56FA-496F-9E81-F10B70A6CAF2.jpeg
    71FCFCF1-56FA-496F-9E81-F10B70A6CAF2.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 19DBBE98-6107-4AC8-AD58-02660A869799.jpeg
    19DBBE98-6107-4AC8-AD58-02660A869799.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 15