Vinyl top on Z28???

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by cnssanders, May 5, 2006.

1. cnssanders

cnssanders New Member

I recently purchased a 1970 RS Z28 Van Nuys car :cool: and am in the process of tearing out the interior and prepping it for body work. I am a long way from paint, but the discussion of color is constantly coming up. I am torn and would like some feedback from "those in the know". The cowl tag says the car is shadow grey with black vinyl top. years ago someone repainted the car red and removed the top. I love the look of a bright shiney sportscar, but I also think the grey with vinyl would not only be unique, but also kinda cool. I am open to suggestions and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks, Chris

2. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chris,

You've got my vote for Shadow gray with the vinyl top...looks awesome with the black stripes and vinyl top......but then again, I am more of a purist and it comes down to your own personal preferences and tastes. The nice thing about paint color changes is that they are not permanent and can be taken back to original if desired.

Steve

70 Mulsanne Blue RS/Z28
    70 Forrest Green Z28
    70 Shadow Gray Sport Coupe

3. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

I've got the dreaded "G" code for the vinyl top on my 71SS. GREEN! :eek:

4. cnssanders

cnssanders New Member

That's true steve. One thing a friend said is to paint it first and then decide if I want to add the top to it. I dont have the trim for it or the clips. So it will take some doing. Any other ideas/suggestions?
    Ouch. I dont know if I could go as far as a green top. I suppose it would depend on the body color???

5. 1owner72

1owner72 Veteran Member

I really liked my blue with white top, but when I saw a grey with black top, I thought it looked great. It seems as time goes on, all these cars look good in any color.

6. 70camaronut

70camaronut Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a 70 nova ss 396, it is 76 corvette yellow with a black top. It really compliments the car. My 70 camaro is cortez silver with black stripes and i thought a black top would be too much. It really is about what you want. I think the grey with black stripes and top would be awesome. Just like 1owner72 said, they all start to look great after a while.
    Bart

7. cnssanders

cnssanders New Member

Thats true. The car will look good nomatter what the paint, however, I want it to look AWSOME!!!! This is a one in 2000 or so car and it should look like it. I just dont want it to look like a cookie cutter camaro.