Voltage Regulator Restoration/Cleaning

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by CamarosRus, Dec 4, 2005.

1. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

I recently bought a dated (0F/June 1970) Delco Remy Voltage Regulator.

1) The BASE plate appears to have been stamped from GALVANIZED sheet metal. I am almost positive of this, and NOT zinc plated after stamping
    2) I tryed cleaning the base with toothbrush and metal polish. It does work, but near impossible to capture original look of galvanizing. I also used some scotchbrite. I then used Fine Bronze Wool to clean the Galvanized Metal, and think this does a good job, without scratching or polishing metal.....but I also used some of that cotton wadding (NEVER DULL) when I was done.
    3) Curious if anybody has knowledgeable opinion of how someone like Pirkle restores the cosmetic look of Volt Reg Base Plate. I'm not a proponent of Spray Paint Plating Finishes, but curious if any "Galvanized" paint could look correct......
    4) Restoring the Volt Reg Cover seem straight forward after glassbeading, I would use a FULL GLOSS Black Paint
    5) I would also Clear(Silver)Zinc the misc fasteners
    6) Lastly HOW exactly, do you check the operation of avolt reg...HOW can I tell if good or NOT?????

Picture below of Jack Seymours survivor..........

[​IMG]

2. CamarosRus

Jack, There is also pictured above TWO bolts going through into core support.
    Is the lower one holding front edge of fenderwell??? .........so what is upper bolt doing??

Thanks, Chuck

3. jacsey 70Z

jacsey 70Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chuck, I had a voltage regulator done by John Pirkle and it looked Great think the base was glass beaded but don't remember for sure.
    Here is a picture of the other side of the core support, you can see the three Voltage Reg. bolts and the one you are talking about I think are one of the headlight bracket bolts. The bottom one is inner fender next one up is bumper bracket and then the light bracket bolt.
    I do see some dirt I missed!!
    Jack

[​IMG]

4. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jack could I get John Pirkle’s info from you, I want to have my original regulator restored
    It is original to the car and dated so I want to reuse it. It is not a very pretty sight. Check
    out the RED wire that is Unplugged from the regulator and just laying under the horn relay
    which also needs to be restored…
    As you can see, "I have my work cut out and a Long way to go"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  5. jacsey 70Z

Johns number is 706-860-9047 I think the wire thats unhooked is the key buzzer, see that on a lot of these cars, no one could stand it. Looks like a fun project!!
    Jack

6. LT1Z28

LT1Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

John Pirkle

Just in case anyone is interested, John Pirkle also does a nice job restoring the horn relays and he also has supplied me with several restored original radiator caps over the years. I met him at Stone Mountain Ga. a number of years ago. Nice fellow with fair prices. LT1Z28 Cliff K

7. CamarosRus

Jack, Getting back to my question of CLEANING an Original Delco Remy Volt Reg......in the above picture, of yours there is too much flash to reveal the LOOK of the Galvanized metal base area. What did you do to clean this and what about the misc zinc plated fasteners that no doubt were rusty.....
    When I get off my lazy azz, I'll take a picture of the cleaning I just did with BRONZE WOOL of this EBAY item I recently bought.............
    Still like to HEAR or SEE more on what Pirkle does to base.......IF he was to glass bead and really get into the Galvanizing, he would have to recoat, replate with something. CAn you see if he actually drills out misc riveted items and strips down base plate..........this would seem extreme, if it still worked OK.....
    Any problem with your 35 yr old Volt Reg in above orange car....I gather NOT!!!!

8. jacsey 70Z

I didn't do much at all to my Reg. Here is a better pic of the base. Never touched the bolts, didn't even take it off the car if I remember right.
    And it works Great, only 70 I've seem where the needle actually moves!!
    Jack

[​IMG]

9. CamarosRus

Picture below is of 515 "Restored" Volt Reg I bought as extra parts with my 70L-78. Without looking through a thick file, I cant recall if PIRKLE did this or not. Please LOOK at how base plate was dipped in Clear Zinc so as to replate("restore") the exterior portion that shows. Under the Black painted cap, you can still see the ORIGINAL Galvanized plating of the stamped steel base.
    1) Can someone with a PIRKLE restored 515 check and see how theres is done??
    2) Does anyone have a ZINC plating contact, to see if they can "dip" other 515's after glassbeading prep...............with cover on to protect the guts

[​IMG]

10. CamarosRus

A expert restoration source Emailed me this:
    "It is very easy to fix these. To plate the bases Pirkle just silicones a cover on to protect the guts. Files the points and off they go. I don't think he would do one that was all FUBARED inside or he would offer an exchange of the same date as he has many"

I apparently was wrong in my thinking these were just dipped up to a certain point.............the back side is sealed up, so the entire unit with OLD cover, caan be submerged in ZINC.............pretty clever cosmetic resto.....