Vortec Cylinder Heads: The Definitive Guide

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by MikeM79, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Limechild

Limechild New Member

I can do that. Thanks

2. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

I did the Vortec head swap i was having a hard time trying to get the bee-hive spring set up (part#) anyway i got a hold of Summit and talked to somebody that knew what i was trying to do. Of corse he had the crane cams/ comp cam set up ( dont remeber which company) but did not want to pay the price of that for a weekend cruise vehicale. He did some checking and gave me the summit set a lot cheaper. Dont have any specifics on this stuff. Anyway here are part numbers and prices
    SUM-174002- LS6 beehive springs -69.99
    SUM-174003-3 Retainers (they are new and not on there web site yet- have to call to get them) -49.99
    CCA-601-16 locks 7degree 11/32 valve steam 15.99
    That is 135.97 for the set up if anybody is interested, just passing on some info.
    Somebody might has passed this info along before but i was not going to dig though 117 pages to find it -if they did sorry for the repost.

3. Limechild

Limechild New Member

Let us know how the kit works out.

4. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

I have installed the kit and run the car. There was no fitment issues installed like it should. Will not have the car out till spring for a performance test.

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

What lift did the springs and retainers allow? If over .480, did you have to do any further mods or machine work?

6. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

Thanks!
    When closed on seat: What is the measured installed spring height on Your vortecs ?
    When closed on seat: What is the measured distance between bottom of Retainer to top of valve stem Seal on Your vortecs ?

Which rocker arm type are you running ? Self-align aka rail OR Conventional ?
    Brand ? Part Number ?

Are Your valves OE Vortec ? Or something else ?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  7. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

https://www.alexsparts.com/

This place has all the stuff you need at pretty good prices and can answer a lot of questions you may have.

8. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

sandlapper- i can answer a couple of your questions now ( will have to see if i still have my notes on the installed height)
    rocker arm- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdm-pce261104402
    yes i am running stock vortec valves. I did check the lift clearance but it was well more than i need so i did not pay much attiontion to that and dont recall what it was ( i am running a very mild cam) if i do a cam swap sometime i will have to pay closer attintion to it. There is no interferance issue with the self-align rocker arm and the retainer i did check that. Sorry i could not be more help.

9. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

Thank you!
    Self-align rockers & No retainer interference
    Stock vortec Valves.

Hope ya can find your notes on spring measurements.

(fwiw, vortec valves have slightly longer tips than some earlier valves; longer tips help prevent rocker-retainer and/or rocker-lock contact with self-align rockers) ... those considering above beehive conversion on earlier heads will likely Not have as much clearance. dunno but their results may vary.

biker likes this.
  10. arm2004

arm2004 Veteran Member

I need to pull a valve cover to replace a gasket- i will see if i can get you some rough measurment and snap a pic of them installed if that will help any.